Telephone Switching > General Switching Discussions

Vintage 555 Cord PBX Switchboard

(1/5) > >>

Greg G.:
Good price?  This one is more to my liking, has a nice vintage look to it, and I could use it as a desk.  Just not sure I could afford it, but if the asking price is a screaming deal, I will snatch it up.

--- Quote ---
Vintage 555 Cord PBX Switchboard - $883

This is a collectible Western Electric 555 corded switchboard PBX. I'm not sure of the year it was made. It was operating in the Chinook Motel, in Seattle, in the Skyway area. As a sales guy for Pacific NW Bell in the 70's, I sold this motel a new telephone system (Com Key). I had the PNB installer cut the trunk cable and deliver this unit to my house, where I've had it ever since. I always hoped to connect this to my home phone but never got around to doing it. I'm told it's easy to do. It's in nice condition for it's age. It was working perfectly when it was uninstalled. It's only been moved twice so it's very much how it was when it was taken out of service. I have a copy of an operations manual for it and there's a lot of info online related to it. The size is 4' high, 2.5' wide and 2.5' deep. (By the way, I haven't cleaned it. It will look better when I do.)
It's very cool and always gets a lot of attention. It makes a unique and functional desk. I think it will continue to increase in value.
It's time for me to move this on.
--- End quote ---

AE_Collector:
Isn't the asking price $883 or am I misreading something?

If so, that is pretty high. Even at that price these are always a pretty good deal per pound but the weight is what keeps the price down.

You need to do lots of bargaining with him but I assume this is at least within range for you?

Terry

poplar1:
The going price for a working 551 or 555  is probably in the $400 range. On the other hand, this one was carefully removed and cared for, and it is close by. The 552 I would think would be worth $100 for parts.

Greg G.:

--- Quote from: AE_Collector on March 04, 2017, 09:16:21 PM ---Even at that price these are always a pretty good deal per pound but the weight is what keeps the price down.

You need to do lots of bargaining with him but I assume this is at least within range for you?

Terry

--- End quote ---

You didn't misread it, they're asking $883.  What do these things weigh?  The distance is very doable, he's just on the other end of town.  I would have to factor in the cost of getting it transported (kinda like buying on ebay.)  I'm assuming that it will take more than a dolly, a friend (if I can find one), and my Ford Ranger pickup.  I would also have to justify it with my wife, especially since we are hunting for a new washer and dryer.  That's the hard part.  I sent an email to the seller asking if he's open to offers and the logistics of moving it, waiting to hear back.

Greg G.:
Did some measuring, it won't fit through the office doorway even with trim and door removed.  Anita said it could go in the living room where the Majestic radio is now, but I would have to get rid of the radio.  That would only involve moving some furniture to get it in.  In theory it's doable, but other factors like the cost and that we have other priorities at this time have to come first. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version