News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Military Switchboard

Started by Fabius, June 01, 2018, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Stromburg Carlson SB22/PT military portable switchboard. Made for the US Army Signal Corp. Vietnam era. Bought on eBay for $185 with free shipping. Seller accepted my best offer.

One reason I picked this switchboard was that it was in active military service about the same time as myself.

Also it still had its original ID tag on it. Many you see are missing this tag because whoever "liberated" it would remove the tag.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

I used the SB 22, when I served, but it had only one Jack at the operators pack.

Nice piece!

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on June 01, 2018, 01:07:58 PM
I used the SB 22, when I served, but it had only one Jack at the operators pack.

Nice piece!

dsk

Thanks. Were you in the Hæren? (Army)
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rdelius

When military electronics were disposed of .demilling rerquired tha id tags , meters  etc were distroyed.

dsk

Quote from: Fabius on June 01, 2018, 02:41:03 PM
Thanks. Were you in the Hæren? (Army)

The coastal artillery (??)  We had one at each canon for the postitions around,  one switchboard connecting all the SB22 ++ except for one position where they had an x-german 10 line wartime exchange:  https://goo.gl/BPDjqj

I have the German type, but have not got the SB22. (mainly because I'm not willing to pay what it costs  8)    )

The SB22 did not connect to the automatic system, the system (installed 1982) did not understand touch tones.

dsk

Fabius

Quote from: dsk on June 01, 2018, 04:32:59 PM

I have the German type, but have not got the SB22. (mainly because I'm not willing to pay what it costs  8)    )

High demand. I think the price is high because of all the veterans who want one.

I notice that there are some from Europe on eBay. I recently seen one in Poland and one in England. Maybe postage would be low since Norway is in the European Economic Area?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Those we had was made in USA, The European ones are modified with a clumsy connector, and a rotary dial.

dsk

rdelius

This set appears to be modified to fit  a type 52? headset.I  it should have a large connector for the  headset

Fabius

Quote from: rdelius on June 02, 2018, 10:56:12 AM
This set appears to be modified to fit  a type 52? headset.I  it should have a large connector for the  headset

I noticed that. When I get time I plan to you thru the various manuals and see if this mod is listed. It appears to be factory or an update by an Army maintenance depot.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rdelius

I have had several sb22 boards and none have had this headset mod

Fabius

I emailed the owner of that SB22 web page if he had ever seen that mod.

I've started to take a look at this switchboard. I was surprised to see a large part of it is made of aluminium such as much of the housing and some parts of the various plug in components face plates. The plate (silver color) of the mod being discussed is also aluminium.

While the housing has paint loss, what I've seen so far of this unit is that in may be new or saw very little use. The battery compartment, battery holding tube and wiring connectors are mint. So is the inside of the top where the headset is stored. All lettering and instructions on the metal and components are intact.

The headset is marked Western Electric 53. And is dated 1961 in several places.

This evening I'll remove the operator module and get a better look at the jack modification. So far I have not seen any Army refurb stamps. These were a orange color triangle with the date.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

rdelius

The older SB22s are almost all aluminum,  Later ones are of a plastc mareral

Fabius

Quote from: rdelius on June 03, 2018, 01:59:00 PM
The older SB22s are almost all aluminum,  Later ones are of a plastc mareral

Thanks, didn't know that.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

One of the things I notice about the operator pack on my SB22 is not only does it have a mod for a regular type headset but notice that the 310 jack at the top left is not there. Not covered up, no hole, just not there. Also on mine there is no nomenclature above the magneto crank. Every operator pack I've looked at with Google Image has the 310 jack and the nomenclature. 
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905