and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RTT 56A that won't ring with its original ringer

Started by RotoTech99, July 16, 2021, 07:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Countryman:

If you don't have a dial cable,
I can use my existing one by spade lugging the other end, but I'd need to know where to
connect it to, please.

Thanks,
RotoTech99

BTW: Please let me know when these go out.

My address here is:

Ed Burnett
P.O.Box 975
Wewoka, OK 74884

dsk

The diagram is here: t.ly/KTMw
The 1000 ohm ringer needs about 1 uF capacitor.
dsk

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on July 17, 2021, 12:10:47 PM
The terminal block sure looks like one of a RTT56. Possibly the shell of an ATEA was mixed with a RTT baseplate?

Could be a mix but the case is not RTT56.

This style of phones was made in a number of variations. This article by Jan Verhelst even suggests that the "Bell mfg." transfers are original to an export version made by BTMC. See illustration 11. It shows a shell with a handle though, the ATEA 50 came without. Are there holes to mount a handle on yours?

Jan didn't give an official reference for that and I am skeptical. Those transfers were available from the suppliers of the modified decorator sets.

Jack

countryman

You are probably right Jack.
My guess is, they disassembled the phones as they came in. The shells with good paint received the transfers, the others went into a stripping bath and were then galvanized with copper. No baseplate or handset went back to it's original shell...

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Is the 0.1 uF capacitor in the diagram used with "all" the model 50 phones; I noticed not all use it, it seems.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear Forum and Countryman:

As a hopefully temporary conversion I converted my vandalized component internal plate, of which a photo is attached.

I'm going to leave it in place for a month until I can get the parts from Countryman

RotoTech99

Dear Countryman & CRPF Forum:

Here is the diagram I mentioned I think would apply to my Model 50, can you tell me if this would be
close, or correct, please?

Thank you,
RotoTech99

dsk

It looks right for me, but I do not have this ATEA phone myselves.  Please doube scheck the data on the induction coil against the data in the diagram: 1-2 =24 ohms, 5-6 =355 ohms, 3-5 =15 ohms.

dsk

countryman

That diagram is 100% correct for the internal plate I have here.
I had only found one for the model 51 with button.
Hopefully I will be able to send the mail today or tomorrow. I have already tested the parts and they are good. I will also add a 0.1 µF capacitor to go on the dial.

countryman

Here's a diagram including text in English. I found it on Ralf's site erel.de. It also refers to the ATEA 50 but is drawn differently and indicates the wire colors.

RotoTech99

Dear Countryman:

Had 1 minor setback, the original dialj
jammed, so I put a AE51 in its place.

So far so good,
RotoTech99

countryman

Quote from: RotoTech99 on July 17, 2021, 06:42:16 AM
Hi,  believe it or not,  i tried some F1 handsets with it,  they wouldn't fit the cradle; i guess my Kettle phone has a wider cradle thsn I thought,  and it appeared that the F1's handle was too wide to sit in the cradle.

I can confirm that. An American F1 handset does fit onto a RTT 56 but NOT on a ATEA 50. The housing under the cradle is a tad too wide! The RTT 56 has a narrower housing. Impossible to see the difference until comparing both side by side...
The Belgian F1 knockoff handset fits both phones just fine and also a WE 302 or D1.