News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 821C dial finger wheel removal

Started by MMikeJBenN27, July 23, 2021, 02:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

How do you remove the fingerwheel spider on an AE 821C dial?  It seems unremovable, in contrast of other AE dials.

Mike

Babybearjs

Mike, those were spot welded in place and can be removed, but you have to be careful... I had several 87A sets that I did that to because I saw how they were attached to a #50 set and wanted it the same. you will need to look at a #40, or #50 set dial to see what I'm talking about. when you remove the spider, you'll need the retaining screw to refasten it to the dial. the 821C is already threaded for the screw so you shouldn't have any problem reinstalling the spider. Good luck!
John

MMikeJBenN27

I guess I shouldn't have bought that dial.  I guess haste makes waste.

FABphones

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on July 23, 2021, 07:12:33 AM
I guess I shouldn't have bought that dial.  I guess haste makes waste.

That's a shame, but interesting to learn from. Could you add photos of both sides of your dial.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

It was only about 25.00, the plastic finger wheel just looks out of place on a Red Bar, plus you can't put a dial card in it.  I wish I could find one of those stick-on ones that the phone company would send you when they were going to change your phone number.

Mike

Babybearjs

from my experience with AE phones is that the older sets had screw terminals on them and the newer sets have soldiered pigtails on them. when they went to the plastic fingerwheels they started to spot weld the spiders in place to "Save Money" thus eliminating the brass bolt they used to use to attach the metal fingerwheels to the dials. all the dials are interchangeable in the sets, but the pigtails are just for the newer sets (1960's to 1980's) I have pretty much just found them on the key sets, #86, #87A sets... I have found some 821C dials with a plastic fingerwheel and a screw hold it in place.. I myself have pretty much abandoned anything AE... I like WE, and ITT phones better... more popular.
John

MMikeJBenN27

I never cared for AE dials, but I don't think a Western Electric type dial will work correctly on a Red Bar.  Or will It?

Babybearjs

a #5, or #6 might, if the mounting is the same... ITT phones were pretty much like WE, Kellogg Red bars have a funky network and I think they used a plug pigtail on their dials if I'm not mistaken. you'll have to read up on it and study some schematics... that's the only real way to find your answer.
John