News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dot on Dial Faceplate - Anyone Know Why?

Started by RDPipes, June 30, 2022, 08:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

A lot of info there and more then I need to know or have use for.
I did find what help explain a lot of what I was looking for here though, on page 10 or 14.
Sometimes the simplest is the best for me, it shows that #6 dials take the open center finger wheels and show the adapter to use.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: RDPipes on June 30, 2022, 08:29:29 PMI seen this on eBay, on a Ivory 302 and was wondering why that Dot on the face plate.
I've never seen that before, not that I've seen everything. Anyone know why or have a educated guess?

Always wondered about that!

Mike

Doug Rose

The dot is for a #6 only Plate. Not a universal that fits a#2, #4, #5 and a #6. This plate with the star only fits a #6 Dial....Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

I think we both understand that now, Thank you.

paul-f

There are some reference photos that place the features in context of other number plates here:

http://www.paul-f.com/weNumberPlates.html#P-34016
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RDPipes

Yes sir, I've seen those on your website, great info there.

poplar1

5J dial has a white casing rather than black. Early 5J (and 4J) dials had stainless steel finger wheels, finger stops, and card holder frames. These were used on 1937 color 202s and on painted ivory, old rose, gray-green, and blue metal 302s (1939-`circa 1941).

Late 1940 - early 1942 302s in above colors (not the metallic colors) have thermoplastic housings. The 5Js for these sets had thick, clear plastic finger wheels (part no. P-298941) with a + style clamping ring. You had to remove the number card and window to remove the finger wheel.

WE color sets were not manufactured from mid-1942 to 1949, although at least one 1947 5J has been found. The 1947-1952 5J dials used a P-372629 clear finger wheel, which you removed by sliding a tab on the bottom left side of the finger wheel.

6D dial with white case  and clear finger wheel replaced the 5J dial by early 1953. Their finger wheels (P-344387 or 19B524) have a small hole near the zero position. A tool or paper clip is inserted in the hole with pressure to remove the finger wheel. Some 5J dials  (12-52) will also have a  P-344837 clear finger wheel with the hole.

The 1959-up 8A Princess Dial and 1965-up 9C dials have closed finger wheel.

Now, you can use any of the open center finger wheels -- except the type used on the 1940-1942 5Js, and the ones on the 1947-1952 5J dials-- on either 2-, 4-, 5-  6-, or 7-type dials. However, you have to have a "spider" adapter with an opening that matches the dial: 6- and 7-type require a horizontal opening, just as the metal finger wheels have a horizontal hole. Older dials (2-,4-, 5-type) require a vertical opening, just as the metal finger wheels for 2A, 2H, 4H, and 5H have a vertical hole.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Thank you sir! And I do have about 3 or 4 types of spiders to accept the open face clear dials.
I just need to find a couple of finger wheels now, LOL!