Telephone Switching > General PAX & Intercom Systems

Intercoms--Suggestions Appreciated!

(1/8) > >>

stopthemachine:
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this site (and I LOVE it!), but certainly not to phones--however, I need some help with intercoms/phones used in a regular house set-up.

I've read some great posts on here about hooking magneto phones together to ring in a house, also the intercom Connecticut phones, etc.

OK, I am in the processing of fixing up an old, three-story house (slow but steady process due to limited funds at times)--the old plaster walls have been knocked out, and in the (hopefully) next few months, drywall will go back up.  As a "phone-atic," I have greatly considered the idea of hooking up some kind of private phone system into the house, but I'm not sure what would be the best plan.

The magneto phones are cheap enough to pick up on eBay (SC and Kellogg especially), but would that be the best set up?  I think this might be the option to go with--and a way to make good use of the crank phones which often get neglected.  Now, I know I'd need a battery source to actually make voice connection between phones so would it be a daunting task to wire the phones up together...?  Would a switchboard of some sort be a necessary option/alternative?

I've also seen the Connecticut intercoms which are cute, but I am guessing that you could only hook two up together? 

I would love to hear what those with intercom experience (or anyone else for that matter) would suggest. 

Thanks in advance,
Dan  8)

bingster:
If I had an opportunity like that, I'd simply wire the house for telephone service in every room/area, and then put a Panasonic PBX unit in the basement.  That will allow you to use standard telephones in every room AND give those standard phones intercom capabilities.  But when doing that, you can't daisychain the connecting blocks/jacks--each block has to have it's own dedicated line back to the PBX. 

Greg G.:

--- Quote from: bingster on January 14, 2011, 01:37:56 AM ---If I had an opportunity like that, I'd simply wire the house for telephone service in every room/area, and then put a Panasonic PBX unit in the basement.  That will allow you to use standard telephones in every room AND give those standard phones intercom capabilities. 
--- End quote ---

First thing I thought of too, easier and much less "daunting" to use a PBX.  You would just have to dial the extension #.

dsk:
I have done mush of this, actually starting without a good plan.  :'(
This has caused some rewiring.  :-\
If you are going to connect more than 5 magnetos together you will need to consider a manual switchboard, and someone to operate it :D
If this really is an option all wires should be ending up at that location.
The only other solution is to choose a central point in the hose, Basement, attic, or a technical room. From this point you should run wires to each point you may need a telephone or wired internet connection. Cat 5 works well for me.
Each cable contains 8 wires (4 twisted pairs) 2 pairs is usually used for internet. The other to may well be used to 2 different telephone connections. This may slow down the internet in that short period the ringer rings, but probably not.
At  each location you terminate either  an ordinary internet jack, and use a splitter when needed, or you put up a double jack.
At the central point you may end up in some kind of panel. I have used Krone  LSA+  http://tinyurl.com/6lx2y3v
At this point you may patch the wires as you want, and you may reconfigure everyting without  lots of work. You may put up a switchboard or a pabx later.
(The Panasonic analog pabx 's like kxt 616 or 308 is outstanding!)

:) Just remember to put one cable to this point from  1 where your phoneline enters the house, and from where your internets coming in. 

It may be smart do do the same with TV antenna outlets.

dsk

stopthemachine:

--- Quote from: Brinybay on January 14, 2011, 05:40:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: bingster on January 14, 2011, 01:37:56 AM ---If I had an opportunity like that, I'd simply wire the house for telephone service in every room/area, and then put a Panasonic PBX unit in the basement.  That will allow you to use standard telephones in every room AND give those standard phones intercom capabilities. 
--- End quote ---

First thing I thought of too, easier and much less "daunting" to use a PBX.  You would just have to dial the extension #.

--- End quote ---
I think that this Panasonic PBX in the basement sounds like a great idea.  I hope it's not too technical because I surely am not.  Haha.  I have a friend who MAY be able to help me though as he's an electrician, but I won't hold my breath on it.  Would I be able to use both TT and rotary phones on the Panasonic PBX? 

Hey, on top of that, I could always wire a bunch of Connecticut intercoms together, one-on-one, and just make sure I label which room they would reach.  Haha.  That'd actually pretty a funny idea, especially since they're so small.  In my bedroom, I could have one connected to the kitchen; then, I could have a separate one from my bedroom to the basement, and so forth. 

Ah, the possibilites are endless!  Thanks for your suggestions and keep 'em coming!  :)

P.S.-I wouldn't be able to tap the PBX into the landline, would I?  If not, it's really not a big deal at all. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version