News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FrankenPhones AKA the Kludge of the Month Award

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 05, 2010, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowardPgh

I didn't think a W.E. dial would fit an AE40.  Seems to be too much stuff on the back of the W.E. dial.
Howard
Howard

AE_Collector

I have never tried but an AE40 is fairly roomy at that point so I would think that it would fit.

Terry

AE_Collector

We don't have a "Kludge" Topic...do we?? How about this one? Now it may not be badly done but seeing a Dial Phone that also has a Magneto usually spells "Kludge" for me. I think we talked about a similar phone on ebaY a month or two ago.

Any other good Kludge's out there that need to be in the spotlight?

Terry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290832306688

Vintage Automatic Electric Company Chicago Rotary Dial Wall Phone Telephone Wood

US $59.95

stub

Terry,
        I didn't know they made a AE 40 in wood. :o Prototype ???
        I guess he had to loose the bar magnets to make room for the dial and induction coil. ;D  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

AE 40 in wood was what I was thinking as well! Then throw in some plastic insulate wire and all that is missing are some tie wraps!

Terry

stub

"  Phone is very clean and no restoration has been done to decrease its value."
        Nice way to mount a dial!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

All that it's missing is a light bulb socket and lamp shade on top.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 23, 2012, 06:00:04 AM
All that it's missing is a light bulb socket and lamp shade on top.

Larry
And the beads and toll painting.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

newskeeto

I own a pretty good one. 

Feast your eyes on this masterpiece: http://tinyurl.com/bwelpfd

AE_Collector

That is one from October, November and December meeting the one a month frequency of this award. Now until I read newskeeto's post it hadn't occurred to me that Kludge and Frankenphone are likely one and the same.

Terry

Dan/Panther

I think you guys miss the point of the device, it's actually a very rare prototype, that AE was developing. When there was no longer a  need for the Crank and Magneto, AE figured that people would start to develop rather large left hands from holding the much heavier Receiver/Transmitter combination. So AE decided to attach an adjustable spring to the crank, so you could exercise your right hand and arm to match your left arm. The main flaw to the system was, the coffee cup and doodle pad were making up the difference in arm strength so it never caught on.
Very few remain, and are very rare. The spring was adjustable for greater tension.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Well AE wasn't overly well versed in Magneto phones since they grew out of the Strowger Automatic Exchange Company. I guess they had to experiment with Magneto's even on their dial phones!

Terry

zaphod01

I'm new to collecting and occasionally something shows up on ebay that's baffling. Anyone know what this is? Listing number is 390540112317.

I didn't really think much of it until somebody with 2,400+ feedback bid on it.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

jsowers

It looks like a Frankenphone to me, so your first instinct was correct. It's a WE or ITT 500 with an AE SpaceMaker swivel dial grafted onto it. The handset cord is plugged into the jack for the mounting cord. It would be good for parts if you needed a SpaceMaker dial. Quite an odd looking phone.

In case you haven't heard the term, a Frankenphone is something that's assembled from various and sundry parts that weren't meant to be together. Like the doctor who built the monster of the same name.
Jonathan