News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone recognize this wood phone? info needed

Started by RB, February 05, 2021, 08:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Got this on ebay. it is more shallow than most, with a nice finish.
Can anyone tell me what model it is, and what candle went with it?
Thanks

Jack Ryan

It looks like a tropical Bellset No 1 from South America. It was used with the equivalent of a Tele No 150.

On further inspection of the circuit, it was used with the equivalent of a Tele 124 with a Dial No 8 (or possibly a Dial No 3). It is a Bellset No 1 though and can be used wherever they were used.

Jack

RB

Thanks Jack.
Wow, a phone from S America...thats a first for me.
I bought it because of how it looked.
Clean and well built.
And smaller than most I have seen.
Can't wait to see it in action!
Any online info available?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RB on February 05, 2021, 10:13:01 PM
Any online info available?

Bits and pieces - much of it in Spanish.

Both ATM (step) and Peel Conner candlestick telephones (amongst others) were used in South America and in particular by UT (Union Telefonica del Río de la Plata) in Argentina. These phones have interchangeable parts so I suspect that the parts were mixed during refurbishment possibly in a UT workshop.

UT, with 6,000 initial subscribers in 1886, provided telephone services in Argentina under British administration for 43 years. In 1929 it passed into American hands when it was acquired by International Telephone and Telegraph Company (ITT). Under British control UT installed SxS from ATM starting in 1914. Under ITT control, Rotary exchanges were installed. As a result of this history there are a lot of interesting telephones in South America.

You need a UT candlestick to go with it - they have UT in a triangle impressed into the transmitter face, the hook switch and sometimes the transmitter cup as well.

Regards
Jack

FABphones

Photo below of my Peel Conner candlestick. You can see the UT in a triangle on the transmitter face, which Jack mentions.

Link to thread re this candlestick:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=22602
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

As said, almost exactly like a GPO Bellset No1 except that the capacitor is mounted on the door instead of at the bottom of the main unit. I wonder why they did that?
Here in the UK Bellset No1s are difficult to find. There are a good number of Candlestick phones available but most of the bellsets are long gone.
:)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: tubaman on February 07, 2021, 06:01:16 AM
As said, almost exactly like a GPO Bellset No1 except that the capacitor is mounted on the door instead of at the bottom of the main unit. I wonder why they did that?

The original Bellset No 1 had a large flat capacitor mounted at the rear (behind) the bellset. The rear panel was a bit larger to enclose the capacitor.

I think the early versions that used a capacitor small enough to fit inside, mounted it on the door so the IC and terminals could be spaced out. When the door closed, the capacitor occupied the space above the terminals. There are a lot of bellsets no 1 like that.

Later on, the capacitor was mounted at the bottom with the IC right next to it. The terminals were placed slightly under the bell mechanism and between it and the IC.

There are examples of door mounted capacitors from several manufacturers. It might be that all those in the UK have been refurbished or converted into Bellsets No 41 so you don't see them.

Jack

tubaman

Jack,
Thanks. I was aware of the very early type with the large flat capacitor but have only seen the later types with the capacitor in the base of the main unit. There are certainly plenty of Bellset No 41 about as you say.
:)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: tubaman on February 07, 2021, 07:06:49 AM
There are certainly plenty of Bellset No 41 about as you say.

I meant to mention that the PMG in Australia didn't use the Bellset No 41 (or the Tele 310) so the Bellsets No 1 were not converted to extinction. Instead, the IC was shorted out making a Bellset CB Portable (a bell used with a portable service so there is always a bell connected to the line).

The PMG did use the Tele 312 in two party shared service with separate metering in both secrecy (no eavesdropping possible) and non secrecy forms. The secrecy version was called the duplex service.

Jack

RB

My head just exploded... :o
That was a WHOLE nuther avenue I have only lightly thought about.
I would like to know more about duplex service.
Thanks for sharing that, Jack.