News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't get AE40 with 66 Hz ringer to ring

Started by twillkickers, May 04, 2021, 11:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I know that, and I did bend on mine to get it closer. that helped a little. Just turning the bells will also help, and more mass on the clapper will lower the frequency. I do not know how much the stiffness of the spring will be of importance but may be not to much?

dsk

TelePlay

Trying to physically modify a frequency (reed, not pivot) ringer has been discussed on the forum in the past. These are two topics that may give you ideas, two different ways suggested by members some 10 years ago that I remembered reading back then. There may be other topics, the search function worked good enough for me to find these.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5601.0

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6047.msg72088#msg72088

This is all individual trial and error experimentation so whatever works for you works. I've never tried such modifications.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: TelePlay on May 09, 2021, 05:42:46 PM
Trying to physically modify a frequency (reed, not pivot) ringer has been discussed on the forum in the past.

Yes, there are lots of suggestions, many of them destructive. The spring for 66Hz may be just too strong but I was making non destructive suggestions just in case they might work.

My suggestions are only theoretical though because I don't modify them. Some are used on simulated party lines and others are simply historical artefacts.

Jack

TelePlay

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 09, 2021, 08:25:50 PM
Yes, there are lots of suggestions, many of them destructive. The spring for 66Hz may be just too strong but I was making non destructive suggestions just in case they might work.

The second link I posted was a non-destructive option involving the loosening of a screw. Never tried it and don't have a frequency ringer at hand to try that now.

The best fix is to replace the frequency ringer with a SL ringer.