"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very Strange Feeling

Started by Doug Rose, November 10, 2010, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

Quote from: masstel on November 11, 2010, 10:45:08 PM
In my case, fortunately, although painfully for my great deal, I didn't pay a lot.  So, I didn't pursue mine further.  The seller had actually wrapped it nicely in bubble wrap, it was totally the post office's fault.
Yes, in many cases the cost is not the major annoying factor.  It's that something old and nice can be ruined just due to laziness or incompetence.  Looks like you and I both have some lonely plastic-gluing nights in our respective futures.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 11, 2010, 08:53:12 PM
Thanks, Doug.  I've not seen another 4J.  I'm surprised with all of your years at this that you haven't come across one.

Jim, what a shame.  Unbelievable.
Dennis ...as the Legend goes the 4J was the first WE dial made for the Clear thick open face finger wheel, like the early 5Js had with the hard to find mounting flange and NO hole in the finger wheel for easy removal. So my guess is at one time your beauty had an open face finger wheel on it...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dave F on November 11, 2010, 10:58:29 PM
Quote from: masstel on November 11, 2010, 10:45:08 PM
In my case, fortunately, although painfully for my great deal, I didn't pay a lot.  So, I didn't pursue mine further.  The seller had actually wrapped it nicely in bubble wrap, it was totally the post office's fault.
Yes, in many cases the cost is not the major annoying factor.  It's that something old and nice can be ruined just due to laziness or incompetence.  Looks like you and I both have some lonely  nights in our respective futures.
Dave...I agree...it is such a waste and it can never be brought back to its former glory. I think we all have had the sinking feeling picking up a delivered package and hearing a sound we shouldn't be hearing. What is that rattling.....SH*T!!!!.....Doug
Kidphone

deedubya3800

Quote from: Kidphone on November 12, 2010, 09:51:29 AM
Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 11, 2010, 08:53:12 PM
Thanks, Doug.  I've not seen another 4J.  I'm surprised with all of your years at this that you haven't come across one.

Jim, what a shame.  Unbelievable.
Dennis ...as the Legend goes the 4J was the first WE dial made for the Clear thick open face finger wheel, like the early 5Js had with the hard to find mounting flange and NO hole in the finger wheel for easy removal. So my guess is at one time your beauty had an open face finger wheel on it...Doug

I don't know, my 1942 ivory 302 has a 5J dial on it, and this finger wheel and number card retainer look identical to mine. Does it have the brassy-looking piece behind the card with a single round hole in it to the left of center?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JimH on November 11, 2010, 09:58:09 PM
Dave, you should've gotten a refund!  I don't know what you paid. Well I weighed looking for a new housing shell (that would almost be impossible),

I have a lot of used housings for ITT call directors.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Adam

Um... What's an ITT Call Director?

To my knowledge, ITT didn't make a telephone set that looked exactly like the Western Electric Call Director.  Stromberg-Carlson and Automatic Electric did, however...

ITT made a set called the Corinthian (named after their plant location of Corinth, MS).  It was similar to a WE Call Director but I doubt any of the parts would be interchangeable with it.  Pics of Corinthian sets from the ITT TIMM-2 included below.

I'd LOVE to own one of these Corinthian phones, BTW, if anybody has one they'd like to sell.  They NEVER come up on eBay.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

Quote from: masstel on November 12, 2010, 11:31:53 AM

I'd LOVE to own one of these Corinthian phones, BTW, if anybody has one they'd like to sell.  They NEVER come up on eBay.

Well -- ALMOST never.

I got this one on ebay a few years ago.   ;D
  http://www.paul-f.com/K1231.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

Wow!  And it's a 10-button Touch-Tone pad set, to boot!  Beautiful!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Here's a pic I just happen to have laying around of a phone I'd love to own...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Jim Stettler

Quote from: masstel on November 12, 2010, 11:31:53 AM
Um... What's an ITT Call Director?

To my knowledge, ITT didn't make a telephone set that looked exactly like the Western Electric Call Director.  Stromberg-Carlson and Automatic Electric did, however...

ITT made a set called the Corinthian (named after their plant location of Corinth, MS).  It was similar to a WE Call Director but I doubt any of the parts would be interchangeable with it.  Pics of Corinthian sets from the ITT TIMM-2 included below.

An ITT call director is basically an ITT version of a call director. The parts won't interchange, but shippers break all brands of phones, If anyone needs a housing for an ITT call director, I have a large box full.

On these the line buttons go across the top and your dial or TT pad is in the middle. The housings work w/ either TT or rotary and I may have some of the front plates.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Adam

Just to keep things straight, what Jim is describing is commonly called a "ten button phone".  In my experience installing phone systems, these were NOT called Call Directors.  A Call Director is a set that has button strips that are mounted vertically, specifically The Western Electric Call Director, and the AE and Stromberg sets that were designed like them.

I do believe that parts from ITT ten button phones ARE parts interchangeable with Western Electric ten button phones (just as ITT 500 set parts are interchangeable with WE 500 set parts).

These sets also came in 20 button versions.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

paul-f

... and 30 buttons.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dave F

Quote from: masstel on November 13, 2010, 12:05:48 PM
Here's a pic I just happen to have laying around of a phone I'd love to own...
This one is my only Card Dialer with a 10-button dial.

<-------  (And this little picture over here on the left is my only Card Dialer
              with a 16-button dial!!)

Adam

Re: 6-button card dialer: To Die For! :)

Re: 30 button phone: Cool!  Thanks, Paul, for including that.

Can someone check me on this?  I believe only ITT made 30 button phones, Western Electric only made 10s and 20s.  Can anyone confirm that?

BTW, ITT also had wall versions of these.  They consisted of the whole base turned 180 degrees, a different switch hook (cup style) and dial also reoriented, but key strip not reoriented.  Stromberg-Carlson also made these in desk and wall versions, and they also had 6 button versions as well (but not ITT or WE).
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dave F

Quote from: masstel on November 13, 2010, 10:27:03 PM
Can someone check me on this?  I believe only ITT made 30 button phones, Western Electric only made 10s and 20s.  Can anyone confirm that?
Yes, that's right.