News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Truck

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 20, 2016, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

That's a nice job on the truck, Christian. I can smell the new just looking at the pictures.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

compubit

That is one sweet truck! Definitely puts my old Ranger to shame (not that I still have the Ranger...).

I'm guessing you'll have to get Winter tires also...  (You may have to sell one of your phones for them...)  ;)

Jim 
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! ;D It sure is a nice truck!

Quote from: compubit on September 19, 2017, 07:35:08 PM
I'm guessing you'll have to get Winter tires also...  (You may have to sell one of your phones for them...)  ;)

Well, incidentally, I won't be needing winter tires for it. The bodyshop manager originally convinced me that my truck would not last through a salty winter. No matter how thoroughly they rust-proofed it, rust would find its way into little crevices in the body panels. I want this truck for the rest of my life--absolutely no rust!!

After considering what I should do back in July (buy a beater, rent a truck during the winter, etc), I decided to buy new. I was planning on buying a new truck in 5 years or so, but since I still live with my parents and don't have many other expenses, and have a stable job that pays well, buying a new truck now was the best decision. I have a much safer truck that can handle salt better (it's an Aluminum body, so make that far, far better :) ), and makes for a great truck for driving to work all year, without putting miles and wear on my '88.

Here's my 2017 F150. I've had it since July, and you can actually see it in the background of most of the pictures of my '88 since then.

It's a fantastic truck, but it's no replacement for my '88, which is why I have both! I actually detailed both on Sunday, and my new truck took 4 hours to finish!

Yes, it did and will cost me an arm and a leg for 3 years, but it was worth it!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WOW, that is a nice truck.   :)

Pourme

"They" say if you own two of something you have a collection.Now you have two collections!...Nice truck Christian!
Benny

19and41

Very nice!  Be careful, that color attracts tickets.  ;)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

My last F-150 was red also. I drove it for a dozen years...I loved that truck!...I know you will enjoy your new red truck!

Benny
Benny

compubit

Now your goal is to keep the 2017 for 30 years also!!!

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! Yeah, I guess I do have sort of a second collection now! :)

It blows my mind how fast that thing is--I'm trying to teach myself to only use the speed advantage when I need to use it!

I hope to have it for another 10 years, but who knows? My parents say I'll probably have to rent out a storage center for my collection of personal previous daily drivers! ;D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I finally got my '88 into dry storage today, but not without aggravation. I walked out to start it up, and noticed that it smelled like a mouse nest. I looked over on the passenger side floor, and saw some straw and droppings. Oh great...

I opened the glove box...TA-DA! A five pound mouse nest was sitting neatly in the glove box, with droppings lining the bottom of the pocket. My registration papers and other important info were in there, chewed up and part of the nest. I pulled out as much as I was willing to without pulling the whole door out. Fortunately, the owner's manual and original factory paperwork was in a plastic folder, and the mice didn't touch that. The other big fortunate part is that other than some foam seals around the glove box door, nothing was damaged. The floor was covered in cr@p, but it was mostly only limited to the Weathertech mat.

I also found another nest inside the hood, but it's easy to reach, and no wiring appears to have been harmed. The truck started right up and worked perfectly on the way to the garage. Cleanup this spring shouldn't be too hard, especially since the glovebox appears to be easy to remove.

I saw a mouse running around inside the cab during the drive, and as I write this, I guarantee it's still there. I put out some mouse poison in the cab and under the hood, and since I'll be going back to move the truck into a heated garage on the same property this coming weekend, I'll find out if the mouse decided to leave or got hungry.
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

I realize they can get into the smallest of openings but how did they get into the glove box when there is so many great places under or in the seats?

BTW: you may need to follow the decomp odor if they ate the poison. They don't die on the spot with many poisons. I prefer the spring loaded  mouse traps from Walmart (cheap) with a bit of peanut button the the lever. That an instant end and you know where to look.

Good luck, a nasty problem, indeed.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on December 03, 2017, 04:47:05 PM
I realize they can get into the smallest of openings but how did they get into the glove box when there is so many great places under or in the seats?

BTW: you may need to follow the decomp odor if they ate the poison. They don't die on the spot with many poisons. I prefer the spring loaded  mouse traps from Walmart (cheap) with a bit of peanut button the the lever. That an instant end and you know where to look.

Good luck, a nasty problem, indeed.

I don't know, but they found the most hidden, easiest to fix and clean, least expensive place of the entire interior. The perfect original seat has absolutely no droppings on it of any kind, and there's only one urine stain on the carpet. The floor looks perfect under the seats, so they haven't been hiding there.

The poison blocks we use kill pretty rapidly. We had a huge community of mice living in our garage a year or so ago. One night, we set those blocks out, and the next morning, we found a dozen or more dead mice out there.

We'll be O-Zoning the inside when it comes out of storage, killing any remaining smells and bacteria. I'll be bleaching the inside of the glovebox, just to be totally sure the germs are long gone.
Christian Petterson

Pourme

They got in my camper one winter and I had some major cleaning to do...I know how you feel...
Benny

Dan/Panther

Nip it in the bud, or they will destroy your wiring.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 04, 2017, 01:04:34 PM
Nip it in the bud, or they will destroy your wiring.

D/P

Good point. Might be a job for the Batzner guy to fumigate the entire truck in a closed room to kill off anything and everything. They know the best and have the right stuff to do the job.