News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Easy to make USPS First Class Flat Envelope Thickness Gauge

Started by TelePlay, July 10, 2021, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I've struggled with determining the thickness of an envelope for years knowing that if the envelop up to 3 ounces is more than 1/4" thick. Others may have struggled with this same USPS requirement so that's the reason for this topic.

A flat envelope up to 6.5" by 11.5" in size less than 1/4" thick and weighing up to 1 ounce only requires a $0.55 first class stamp. If 1 to 2 ounces, then $0.75. 2 to 3 ounces, $0.95. Fairly cheap, still, for the USPS.

If the same flat envelope is more than 1/4" thick, it is considered a "large envelope" and the price jumps to $4.00 for up to 4 ounces and then rises slowly to $6.25 for 13 ounces to be mailed as a First Class Letter. This price has increased considerably from $2.35 to $4 over the past 6 months.

The USPS clerk at the counter has a slotted board to check thickness. Rather than go to the post office for every questionably thick envelope I ship, I finally came up with my own slotted gauge to check thickness.

I had a4 foot long 3/8" by 3/8" aluminum angle iron laying around for years and realized that cutting two 13" long pieces out of it and separating them with two 1/4 inch long spacers placed 11.5" apart will now let me check flat envelope thickness and maximum width at home.

Took 15 minutes to cut, drill and bolt the pieces together and the rigidness of the angle iron makes it a very accurate measuring device across the entire 11.5 inches. Cost was less than gas for one round trip to my closest post office.

RB