News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wired up a frankenphone tonight

Started by eagle, March 31, 2022, 09:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle

Yesterday I received my replacement mini network (first one was DOA), so tonight I wired up a frankenphone using one of the many diagrams found here.  I used the transmitter from a donor 500 set, and I used the receiver from my candlestick phone.  There's no way to dial a number, there's no switchhook, and there's no ringer.  8)

I am sure I could have done a better job of this, but I knew that some electrical tape; some nuts and short, small bolts; and a box (to tape everything onto) would be enough to get this working.

Sure enough, it works.  I've never done anything like this before, so this was fun for me.

Now hopefully I can make more progress on my candlestick restoration project.

RB

Yup, that has "Frank" all over it. lol.
I can't remember all I had to deal with with my stick config, But the main thing,
"If you plan to install that mini inside the stick", is make it as flat as possible.
Bend the caps down as much as you can, It will fit, but you will need to insulate it from the stick body, and dial.
Mine has black tap wrapped around it, I think???

Jim Stettler

I have used screw/nut wiring on spaded leads before. Just tape them to keep them insulated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I broke up the wiring  board from a WE  trimline base to get the screw/nut  wiring terminals.
The screws on this board are to create spaded wiring connection points.

You can cut them loose with side cutter (aka diagonals/dikes) pliers or something similar.

You can get a lot of nice screw/nut connectors from 1 board. about 10
If you have space in the phone, then you could use the whole board or cut it to fit the phone.
I wrap all the metal with electrical tape.

JMO,
Jim
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.