News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual Red 302 Dated 4 19 41

Started by Doug Rose, June 17, 2022, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

TCI had a show last weekend with pictures of the event posted on Sunday. I was scanning the pics and saw an almost perfect Manual Red 302. After sending an email to the TCI I found the owners email address.

After a back and forth I purchased the phone for $550.

This phone is over EIGHTY ONE years old!!

This is something I rarely do, but it is date matching, original cords in wonderful condition was too hard to pass on. These are almost always warped or cracked, even the Black ones.

Pre war with red plungers and a original dial blank that is NOT warped with the cool built in matching retainer ring. I have two color dial blanks and both are warped a little.

This was WE's first venture into thermoplastic as metal was needed for the war effort. Getting one in color was just too hard to pass up.

It should arrive next week. I cannot wait...like a kid in at Christmas....Doug
Kidphone

Jon Kolger

Doug, I noticed that phone in the pictures too.  It is a great set.  It's difficult getting a dial card and cover in the dial blank.  It takes a special size dial card, I believe.  The pre-war sets do not seem to warp like the later sets.  The plastic is a lot thicker and also less translucent.  It may not even be the same type of plastic, I don't know.  The threads on the handset caps are different as well.  There are lots of differences between the pre-war and post-war sets.  Also, the little finger cup under the cradle should be painted metal, not plastic.  The pre-war sets do not seem to get much respect, but I really like them.  If you hadn't bought it, I probably would have tried to.

Doug Rose

thanks Jon...I do appreciate the insight. I can't wait to get it.

I know the dial card might be a challenge, but I'd be fine to leave it as is....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

What a terrific find!  You lucky dog!  Pre-war plastic color sets pre-date the need to shift resources to the war effort.  The first color plastic phones came out in 1940, probably field-trial sets.  Black phones are the ones that were shifted to plastic for 1942 and later due to war needs.  I have an ivory 1941 set, but it is not as perfect as this one!  There was also a 1940 ivory set for sale at the same time, but the receiver cap was glued on, so I passed that one up.

Mike

oldguy

Cool phone Doug. I didn't know W.E. Made prewar color 302s
Gary

Doug Rose

thanks Gary....can't wait to get it....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I got the Manual Red today. WOW!

This in just stellar condition for an EIGHTY ONE year old phone.

The dial card will be a challenge as it is much smaller. I don't want to do any damage to the built in retainer so for now it is a copy of a real card cut to fit...kinda   ;D

This was not easy to get good pics, but you get the idea. ...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Beautiful!

Great addition to your collection.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Thanks Paul....any insight on getting a card into the built in retainer. I certainly do not want to damage it....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on June 17, 2022, 02:52:52 PMWhat a terrific find!  You lucky dog!  Pre-war plastic color sets pre-date the need to shift resources to the war effort.  The first color plastic phones came out in 1940, probably field-trial sets.  Black phones are the ones that were shifted to plastic for 1942 and later due to war needs.  I have an ivory 1941 set, but it is not as perfect as this one!  There was also a 1940 ivory set for sale at the same time, but the receiver cap was glued on, so I passed that one up.

Mike

Actually, there are many black plastic 302s made in 1941 (often cracked). They still used the metal hand hold.

NOTE: Color thermoplastic 302s were made c. 1941-2 then c. 1949-1954.
         WR-C30.011, Issue 1, 8-5-42 indicates that "the manufacture of colored station sets has been discontinued."
         "The resumption of color 302s was announced in BLR v27, p.43 (January 1949)"
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 21, 2022, 04:06:29 PM...any insight on getting a card into the built in retainer. I certainly do not want to damage it....Doug
Only the obvious, which you have already done -- patient trimming slightly bigger than the opening, and careful poking to snap it into place.

Good luck!

It seems that there should be a BSP with guidance for installers, but I don't recall seeing this model covered. Maybe one will turn up
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

This BSP is for the early 5J dials, but perhaps the smaller mask is the same for manual 302s.

Notes from Bell System Practice Section C30.011, Issue 4, 1-2-41, "Colored Station Sets:"

"Section reissued to include new thermoplastic (plastic) colored sets, new transparent P-298941 finger wheels, and new (smaller) number cards and colored masks needed for these finger wheels.

"TELEPHONE SETS:

"Thermoplastic 302s now available in Ivory (App. Code Dash No. --4), Old Rose (--16), Dark Blue (--18), Gray Green (--19), Pekin Red (--20)."

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10650.msg113297#msg113297

poplar1

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17108.msg176451#msg176451

Form E-2954

11.02  With each new or repaired set, Form E-2954 consist-
                ing of one each of one line, two line, and three line
masks, of the corresponding color will be furnished. The
masks furnished with the thermoplastic sets requiring the
small diameter number card will be perforated for this size
card.

BELL SYSTEM PRACTICES                        SECTION C30.011
Station Installation and Maintenance            Issue 4, 1-2-41
                                                            AT&T Co Standard

poplar1

[Note: picture above needs to be rotated 180 degrees so that notch for later 5J dials is on the right.]

CONTINUED:

11.03   Fig. 1 shows the assembly of the number cards and
                windows in the transparent finger wheel and 92A
apparatus blank. Since the diameter of the integral molded
card frame in the transparent finger wheel and 92A apparatus
blank is smaller than for the regular number card holder,
the number cards and masks have perforations 5/64 in. in
from the outer rim so that the outer perforated area can be
torn off by bending the card or mask at the perforation and
detaching it, thus reducing the diameter so that the card and
mask can be used in these molded frames.  Care should be
taken to leave the small projection at the top of the card or
mask which fits into the recess in the top of the card frame
to prevent the card or mask from shifting its position.

11.04   The window which holds the number card and mask
                in place should be placed in the finger wheel with the
bead around the edge turned up when both number card and
mask are used which is always the case with colored sets.

11.05   To place the window in the frame, cup it slightly
                convex upward, and place the rim in the groove and
work the window all the way around and into the groove
with the finger nail.

11.06  The window can be removed by inserting the tip of
               the 445-A tool in the recess in the groove at the
bottom of the finger wheel. If a 445-A tool is not available,
the point of an inside wiring nail can be used.

poplar1

Both the (small) number card and the (small) mask for pre-war color 302s have a tab at the top: The tab prevents the card or mask from shifting its position:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3827.30