News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

289B tow prong plug with Oxford gray cord found at Lancaster Show

Started by allnumbedup, June 27, 2022, 04:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I picked up a cord at the recent phone show in Lancaster PA and did some research on the item I thought worth sharing.  Since it is 100% usable as a oxford gray station cord, I wonder why, when, and how often this color cord was used on switchboard equipment. The page below is from the 1939 WE apparatus catalogue from TCI. I don't think residential cords in oxford gray were yet offered at the time this catalog was printed or still available when this cord was made for switchboard plugs.  However.  it seems like the associated cord for this plug listed in the 1939 catalog about matches that on the 1962 metal restraint I have which is stamped  "5-0 L4BJ IV 62". Both ends have small loop contacts, not spade connectors.

On a side note, I would love to find a source of handset restraints of the tapered style used for straight handset cords on WE 500's.  Even if black, I think they would hold up well painted to match the cord colors. Even today, lots of appliance, computers, and power tool cords have oxford grayish cords of the correct diameter to pass as oxford gray handset or station cords but few have the old-time tapered restraint adapters as found on early 500 phones. Newer cords have ribbed restraint adapters (probably because the tapered type don't hold up well).
Analog Phones for a Digital World