News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Soft Plastic Colored 302

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 15, 2020, 10:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Shortly after buying the green soft plastic 302 at the local flea market (forum link), I found this ivory 302 (ebay link) on ebay for a reasonable price, so I bought it.  It arrived today in a box that was way too shallow to fit the phone, wrapped tightly, handset, four-prong plug and all, in plastic in a way that was almost guaranteed to destroy the phone, but it somehow survived.  This one also has no markings on the bottom.  The internal parts have 1949 dates, and the shell has a 1955 date.  I will have to clean up the phone and take some pictures.  In the mean time, the ebay listing picture will have to suffice.

Larry

SUnset2

Good find.  Most of us would have passed it over thinking that it was painted.

Key2871

Congrats, glad it arrived in on piece.
That would have been a shame had it got broken.
KEN

Good score, now to find the non painted matching handset to go with it.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Duffy on August 16, 2020, 05:45:24 AM
Good score, now to find the non painted matching handset to go with it.

I learned a few weeks ago when I got the green one that these came with painted bakelite handsets, so the handset on mine is correct.  The handset is in very good condition, except for the top of the receiver caps, which I might want to try to repaint.

The cloth ivory cords appear to be original.

Larry

Good to know, I was assuming that it had been replaced with a painted handset as my 302's have the matching handsets.

HarrySmith

Great catch. I was one of those who passed over it. I thought it was painted and when I saw the picture of the handset I passed. My loss, your gain!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I just reassembled the phone and took some pictures.  The phone works fine.  While most of the internal parts have 1949 dates, the transmitter is from 1939.  There are two small green spots on the back side of one of the cradle ears which I could not remove.  They are either impurities in the plastic or something that was absobred deeply into the plastic.  I sanded off most of the really rough paint on the top part of the receiver cap and repainted it, but the paint is very noticeably lighter than the rest of the cap and handset, so I need to find a darker ivory paint or a replacement painted ivory receiver cap.  I put away the green 302 and replaced it on my desk with the ivory one.  Perhaps this phone will decide to enter next month's FOTM competition.

Larry

Doug Rose

Nice Larry ...two soft plastics in two weeks.  Look out for the Red, it is the color a 500 set. Really nice finds....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

We will see.  These things often find me.

Larry

Doug Rose

I like the way both of your painted handsets match the soft plastic. I have seen handsets that the paint faded and did not match at all. Two outstanding finds!

I have had the Ivory and the Green, but they were very similar to the originals.

The Red is the Prize as the color is so different. Rumors of Old Rose and Blue, but I have never seen a picture of them...really nice finds!!!

Happy for you...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan