News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What strange calls or odd phone behavior have you had happen?

Started by Cole, August 11, 2019, 10:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Back in 1986 I was getting phone calls to buy Rodeo tickets. I asked the 4th caller where they got my phone number, AS it turned out it was posted on a billboard as you entered downtown. I looked up the rodeo in the phone book and advised them of the misprint.
Years later, my 2nd number ( different than the rodeo number) got burned on to floppy disks  as the alternate dial-up number. I only used that number as an outgoing line, but it was still a problem. I solved it by  leaving  that number off-hook when I wasn't using it. It was still annoying.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Jim;

Please hang up the phone, I want to respond to your post.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

SUnset2

This was a mystery when it happened to me back in the 1980s.  I was working at a company in Redmond, WA back when it was still in area code 206.  I would randomly receive calls from people who thought they were calling the Microsoft technical support number.  I thought this was weird because though Microsoft was in the same prefix, the last 4 digits were not even close.  I was getting at least 2-3 calls a day, with people launching into questions about problems they were having using Microsoft software.  I was mostly using Unix at the time, so I couldn't really help them. 

I asked what number they were calling, and they gave my exact number.  I asked where they got the number, and they said that they called the Microsoft help number printed in the manual (206-882-8089 - now area code 425) and they got intercept, saying that the number had been changed to 882-XXXX (my number).  I called the Microsoft number, and it was working fine.  This went on for months. 

Eventually, I figured out that they were misdialing the area code, dialing 202 instead of 206, and in Washington, DC, 882-8089 had been changed to 882-XXXX.  They then redialed, dialing the right area code this time.  There were so many people calling, that the small fraction of misdialers were becoming quite annoying.  So I threw in the towel and had my number changed.

Cole

Quote from: FABphones on August 13, 2019, 05:48:05 AM
One number I had used to get a lot of calls from someone who must have done a lot of exercise as they were always out of breath and unable to speak.

So I got a Policeman's whistle. The next time they rang I whispered 'schhh, listen carefully'.
Then I blew that whistle long and hard right down the transmitter.

The dog leapt up and scarpered out of the room.

And whoever it was never rang again.

I've never done that, but when I was younger I used to blow into the receiver when we'd get those Microsoft scam calls that would show Microsoft WA on the caller ID. One time, it was an Indian lady, and she blew back at me. Then another time it was a guy that said "That's an interesting noise you're making." I hung up and then he kept calling back from different spoof numbers, until I left the phone off the hook for about 30 minutes.

A few years ago I read a suggestion that one press the star and pound keys on a touchtone phone at the same time. This generates a very high pitch tone that would supposedly cause whoever called to not call back. I doubt it would do much though. I would be concerned this could allow them to see some information they shouldn't or something.

twocvbloke

One useful "feature" of a cordless phone is when you get scam calls, you can just pay a visit to the toilet and do what you need to do, or if you don't need to go, take a jug of water with you and pour it into the toilet bowl, if they complain, just tell them they did call you at "a bad time"...  ;D

Westrex

Been a while since this has been posted in. I once was at a pay phone at the University of Washington, and the pay phone rang, I answered, and it was a guy asking for the University of Washington Medical Center. The pay phone number and the medical center number are very different, so I'm not sure how he ended up calling a pay phone.

Phone Google Maps location: http://tinyurl.com/25sf3eh6
Phone Number: 206-545-9737
Check out the site below for helpful information about Automatic Electric phones.

http://kwan-nick.neocities.org/AE2.html

dsk

In the early 80's (when I lived with my parents) I did lift off the receiver, but did not get a dial tone. I could listen in to a conversation, but they did not hear me.

Later I could receive calls, call out, but the other end could not hear me.  Nothing wrong with my phone, but the telco stated that noting was wrong. (I called from the neighbor, next door.) The telco did not try to fix it! 

If nothing is wrong... I can fix that. ;)   230V from the electric outlet, back yo the exchange... next morning everything was OK :)

AL_as_needed

Rather timely that this topic resurface. I had a quirk happen yesterday morning with my 5302 on a pots line.

Now I know it could very well be an issue with the 5302 itself, will investigate that later. When picking up the receiver I would hear what sounded like the line ringing one solid ring (not a ring cycle)rather than get DT. Maybe the network had a mini freak-out with the little 5302? Seems to be ok otherwise.

TWinbrook7

countryman

I had many unwanted sales persons call my landline the last couple of years. But today I had one of the infamous "rip-off" scam calls for the first time.
"Here's police Sergeant Schneider. Am I speaking to Herr countryman?... your daughter is here with us. Do you want to talk to her?"

I was immediately aware what was going on, but said "that might be of interest"...because I have 2 sons, but no daughter that I know of ;-)
The caller hung up. Maybe I should have sounded more elderly and worried to trap that guy. (They will ask for money or otherwise the mentioned relative will go to jail or something.)

ka1axy

Quote from: countryman on February 09, 2024, 04:49:53 PMI had many unwanted sales persons call my landline the last couple of years. But today I had one of the infamous "rip-off" scam calls for the first time.
"Here's police Sergeant Schneider. Am I speaking to Herr countryman?... your daughter is here with us. Do you want to talk to her?"

I was immediately aware what was going on, but said "that might be of interest"...because I have 2 sons, but no daughter that I know of ;-)
The caller hung up. Maybe I should have sounded more elderly and worried to trap that guy. (They will ask for money or otherwise the mentioned relative will go to jail or something.)

And my response would be something like, "Good. It's about time the kid learned her lesson. I'll be down in the morning to bail her out."

A friend got one of these and promised to send as much money as needed, if the caller (supposedly his friend from high school) would tell him the name of the play they were both in during their senior year. Silence...

Fordman 1966

Back in the early 1980's had cordless phone that would call the police. I thought it was a one time deal but no it happened 7 or 8 times.The police would show up and ask if I called them l said no they asked if anyone was in the house said no they asked to check said have a look around.about the 3rd time out they show up said it's us again got another call from your phone said it ain't me did their look around.See you next time week later same thing they checked this time I was building a old model T Ford they helped me put the body&fenders back on the car.said see you next time sure enough 2 days later here we go again hey we are back this time they asked where the phone was located - on table next to couch they looked at it said this type of phone when battery gets weak it will call the police-they got a bulletin that that type of phone was running them all over town told them thank you took cordless phone out .installed WE500 and never had that problem again

HowardPgh

Never answer a telemarketer's question "Can you hear me?" with "yes". This is probably old news to most of you, but they can record your response and use it to confirm other things.
I usually answer back with the same question.
Howard

countryman

When they start to recite their introduction I usually say "what's the actual matter please, I'm in a hurry". I do that to make sure the caller does not have an unusual, but legit message. It may be kinda rude, but it enforces to come to the point. If it's telemarketing, I just hang up.