News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lm 500 works sort of , won't ring

Started by TedRotaryIII, February 07, 2024, 02:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedRotaryIII

So I got a bunch of phones at a tag sale. I want to see if they work. This particular lm 500 plug was changed to an ordinary electric plug.  No problem. I took one of my home wall phones off its hookup.  Took plastic sheild off and using jumper cables hooked up to red and green. I got dialtone.  Even dailed up my cel phone and it worked.  I could talk to it too !
So I used my cell to call my landline which this 500 is attached to , won't ring ! I picked up the receiver I called here myself ! What gives? Is old system won't play nice with new?

AL_as_needed

Should be an easy fix, usually involves just moving some of the ringer wires around on the network terminals. When you say it is an "lm 500", are you referring to a Western Electric built 500, LM?
TWinbrook7

TedRotaryIII

Bell Systems.  Western Electric is what it says.
When your talking network terminals are  you talking within the phone ? Or external wiring ?
I only know a little about phones , as you can see !!

G-Man

Quote from: TedRotaryIII on February 07, 2024, 03:46:06 PMBell Systems.  Western Electric is what it says.
When your talking network terminals are  you talking within the phone ? Or external wiring ?
I only know a little about phones , as you can see !!
Make sure that the RED and BLACK ringer wires are connected to terminals L-1 and L2 on the network which is located within the telephone set.

The RED and GREEN wires of the line cord are also connected to these terminals but if a YELLOW line wire is also present, it should be terminated on the G terminal but nothing else should be connected to it since it is not longer used on modern telephone systems.

Also, what does "LM" refer to? If it is a 500L/M set, then it would have a separate terminal strip but the RED and BLACK leads from the ringer would still bridge the RED and GREEN wires of the line cord.

G-Man

Here is a drawing of the top of the network that is inside of your set.

AL_as_needed

Gman hit the nail on the head! Additionally, there is a small "bias spring" located between the bells of the ringer. This put tension on the clapper and usually needs to be adjusted to the low / no tension position.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16818.0
TWinbrook7

Contempra

Quote from: G-Man on February 07, 2024, 06:53:26 PMHere is a drawing of the top of the network that is inside of your set.

Hi to you all .. If my memory's good , the yellow one is no longer used , but you can connect it on ' G ' without problem , isn't it ?

G-Man

Quote from: AL_as_needed on February 08, 2024, 08:17:58 AM
Gman hit the nail on the head! Additionally, there is a small "bias spring" located between the bells of the ringer. This put tension on the clapper and usually needs to be adjusted to the low / no tension position.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16818.0
So far it's only a guess since TedRotaryIII has not responded as to whether any of our answers helped and if not, what model his set actually is.
His subject line calls it an LM 500 set but he hasn't clarified if it's actually a 500L/M instrument, which has a separate terminal strip.
         3.07 500L/M: This set is to be used at installations which
     require that the ringer circuit be brought out separately
     through the mounting cord. Examples are 1A-type telephone
     answering sets, 507-type PBX attendants' stations, certain 2B
     key telephone system stations, etc. A 4-conductor mounting
     cord and an additional terminal strip are provided.

G-Man

Since we don't know for certain which set you have, here is the wiring diagram for an L/M set. It will show you the difference.

AL_as_needed

Not to drive this topic further off the intended route; My first rotary phone (and the one that got me into this hobby) is a black WE 500 L/M. I do recall it took some fiddling to get it ringing but was not too much of a task to convert to two conductor operation. If I recall I bypassed the separate terminal bar and wired the ringer as a standard 500 C/D set.
TWinbrook7

HarrySmith

It appears Ted has lost interest in this phone. That was fast! It probably would have been as easy as moving one wire as is usual with the old 500 ringer. Oh well
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 08, 2024, 02:47:27 PMIt appears Ted has lost interest in this phone.

Or he is an overwhelmed beginner finding the learning curve still steep and with stuff other than phones taking his time and/or interest.

Yes, 99.99% of the time it's simply moving the black ringer wire from G to L1 to get the ringer working.

AL_as_needed

I think we might have scared him off  :'(
TWinbrook7

MMikeJBenN27

We used to live in a building that required us to use an LM phone.  The offices downstairs had a 1A key system.

Mike

TedRotaryIII

I finally took apart the lM 500 ! I looked at wiring block ! Then I realized why it won't ring !
NO BELLS !