News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

wire a 2 bell ringer with 3 wires

Started by indycustombikes, February 09, 2024, 07:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indycustombikes

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this two-bell ringer with three wires and a resistor? I understand the red and green is ring and pin what do I do with the black wire and resister? I am hoping to put this to work on a protel 7000D and disable the piezo ringer

HarrySmith

Since the black wire is taped I would guess you do not need to use it. Try just hooking up red & green. You may need to add the cap to either one, just between the ringer connection and your phone. You can just use jumpers or a screw to hold the contacts together for a test. If it works you should have an empty terminal somewhere to connect them in the phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

I seem to recall that is a late model AECo ringer and the extra wire is for ANI.

There should be a number stamped on the frame.

Due to the poor quality it is difficult to i.d. the component but I believe it may be a capacitor. 

Again, providing us with the markings on the items you inquire about will help i.d. them.

HarrySmith

I do recognize that as an AE ringer cap.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on February 09, 2024, 11:45:17 AMI seem to recall that is a late model AECo ringer and the extra wire is for ANI. There should be a number stamped on the frame.
Fairly certain it is an AECo Type-48 ringer with a 2,650-Ohm ANI tap.

Stormcrash

I seem to remember that these AE ringers have a center tap on the coil, but I can't remember why other than reducing ringing power for certain circuits. The capacitor is because AE didn't put the ring capacitor inside the network like Western Electric did, it was mounted on the ringer in older models to allow different capacitors for different frequency ringer configurations. You should just be able to hook this up across tip and ring with the capacitor in circuit.

Something like Green -> capacitor -> ringer green -> ringer -> ringer red -> Red

indycustombikes

Thanks everybody, the ringer mounts right up as it should but the wires are too short to get to the terminal block. So tomorrow i will do some soldering and see how it goes.

G-Man

Quote from: Stormcrash on February 09, 2024, 03:30:44 PMI seem to remember that these AE ringers have a center tap on the coil, but I can't remember why other than reducing ringing power for certain circuits. The capacitor is because AE didn't put the ring capacitor inside the network like Western Electric did, it was mounted on the ringer in older models to allow different capacitors for different frequency ringer configurations. You should just be able to hook this up across tip and ring with the capacitor in circuit.
Yes, as previously stated; the extra wire is tapped to the coil at 2,650-Ohms for the ANI billing circuit, but of course it is not needed for today's telephone service.

This scheme was developed by Western Electric and was sometimes used by other manufacturers as well, when their customers demanded it.

And IIRC, the Protel chassis already has a built-in ringer capacitor so he should not need to use the one supplied with the ringer.

A second capacitor typically would not be used, since it will change the capacitance value of the ringing circuit, though it may not be enough cause it to trip the ringing of an incoming call.

If he is concerned, he may check the Protel service manual to verify the presence of an existing capacitor.