News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green single slot payphone

Started by Jpman1984, February 10, 2024, 08:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpman1984

Just picked this up a week ago.  New to Pay phones.  Didn't even realize they made green ones.  Anyone know if it is Western Electric?

RDPipes

If there isn't anything printed/stamped on the handset it's most likely a Automatic Electric
or other manufacturer.

Kellogg Kitt

That is Western Electric.  For confirmation of this, see the words "Western Electric" on the coin return door.

Wade

G-Man

Quote from: Kellogg Kitt on February 10, 2024, 09:42:28 AMThat is Western Electric.  For confirmation of this, see the words "Western Electric" on the coin return door.
Yep, easy to tell especially since it was used by a Bell System operating company, Southern New England Telephone and has "BELL SYSTEM" embossed above "WESTERN ELECTRIC."  Also, unlike many others, the coin return is on the left side.

If it has not been altered during its lifespan, it is a 1C2 payphone and depending on configuration, is capable of either Coin-First or Dial-Tone First operation.

Aside from black, the also came in Green, Chrome, Brown, Beige and sometimes customized by WECo in other colors such as Red.

Stormcrash

Another easy hint that it's likely a Western Electric payphone the handset cord comes out of the front face and not the side, and the coin return is on the left. Automatic Electric and "most" clones have the coin return on the right and the handset cord comes out of the left side

Jpman1984

Quote from: Kellogg Kitt on February 10, 2024, 09:42:28 AMThat is Western Electric.  For confirmation of this, see the words "Western Electric" on the coin return door.

I caught that today.  Thank you

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: G-Man on February 10, 2024, 12:08:06 PM. . . the coin return is on the left side.

Quote from: Stormcrash on February 10, 2024, 03:26:56 PM. . . the coin return is on the left. Automatic Electric and "most" clones have the coin return on the right . . .

As I recall from the days when this type of pay phone was in widespread use, Western Electric and Northern Electric (and later NT) had the coin return on the left, while Automatic Electric (always wanting to be different) had it on the right -- one of the little curiosities I noticed when I first started paying attention to telephones.

I think some earlier AE models might have had it on the left, but I am specifically referring to this era (late 1970s-1980s).

Also, on touch-tone dials, AE had small rectangular buttons that were semi-recessed into the case.  I thought they were weird.

Wade