News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

Bringing the concept up to the modern era.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324367976238 ( dead link 03-14-21 )

Jim Stettler

Quote from: SUnset2 on November 11, 2020, 12:58:13 AM
Bringing the concept up to the modern era.

I like the lighted buttons. They probably gutted the phone and added a bulb.
I would pay $10-20 locally for such a unique lamp.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I saw one of those in a yard sale, waaay back, for free. Snatched it right up, tbe guy laughed said thats a brick.
I said yes it is, but believe it or mot its worth a few bucks! He had a bummed look.
But to do that to one, geez.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on November 11, 2020, 07:27:15 PM
I saw one of those in a yard sale, waaay back, for free. Snatched it right up, tbe guy laughed said thats a brick.
I said yes it is, but believe it or mot its worth a few bucks! He had a bummed look.
But to do that to one, geez.
I stopped at a yard sale, mentioned I collected phones. He gave ma an original big brick , It was from Hawaii with box and 2 batteries, and a very nice holster w/accessories. He said it was high dollar and air time  was $2.00 a minute.
It cost so much he kept it. He was very happy to give it to me. Last I checked that batteries would take a charge and the LEDS would light up. It is the same type phone that I had at work in 1994.

This lamp phone is a newer style brick.
Jim
You live, You learn,

19and41

Never had a brick, but I had a Motorola Tough Talker.  The shoebox sized one with a mobile handset and half of it was the battery.  It was my first cell phone. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: 19and41 on November 11, 2020, 07:49:32 PM
Never had a brick, but I had a Motorola Tough Talker.  The shoebox sized one with a mobile handset and half of it was the battery.  It was my first cell phone. 
At another yard sale I was offered at least 20-30 maybe closer to 40  "bag" phones that the guy had collected.
They were cheap around $5.00 each for all. It was a lot of money that day.
I didn't  have  space to store them for 20 years. They were various ages and brands, It was a very good cross example of "portable"  bag phones.

I still don't regret the space and time  they would of taken up in my life.  It would probably be worth good money sold by the piece on eBay today. It would of made a nice display for a phone museum.
Keep in mind this collection was all pre brick portable  phones. Pre brick portables were radio telephones and early cell phones. These were high dollar items when new.
Jim
You live, You learn,

19and41

I still have a couple of MicroTac phones, a 3G Razr and a Razr 2.  I guess they ain't going to start working again.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Found this one on Facebook Marketplace for $75.00 CDN.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 14, 2020, 07:38:12 AM
Was that even a real phone?

The Lamp Collector Group (LCG) are ticked off because someone turned a lamp into a phone! LOL  :o

Doug Rose

Kidphone

FABphones

Here is what was a nice phone converted into a lamp. Check out that OTT shade, looks like it was done quite some time ago.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

Quote from: Duffy on November 14, 2020, 08:16:46 AM
The Lamp Collector Group (LCG) are ticked off because someone turned a lamp into a phone! LOL  :o

Makes me laugh every time I read it..... ;D
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

The lampshade on this poor old converted telephone so large the seller couldn't fit it all in the photo.  :o
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

The lampshades on those poor phones look as good as one on a partying drunk.
— Arthur C. Clarke