News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

james garner

Started by david@london, July 27, 2014, 11:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Did anyone else find it a little strange that throughout season one and parts of season two, Jim Rockford always ended up dating someone in their early twenties? James Garner had to have been around 46 at the start of the show; he was well over double their age!

The show seemed to get a little more conservative toward the end, when the women started appearing in their mid to late forties, or at least closer to his age.

Also, at one point (season 5 I believe) Rocky stated that his age was 68. I did the math, and he had to have been about 17 or 18 when Jim was born. Only problem with that is in another episode, he said that he was a trucker long before Jim was born! ???
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

I am 66, I have 2 Great Grandchildren and 10 Grandchildren. I've been married more than once, My first wife was 15, I was 17.  My second wife was 30, I was 46, we had two children. My oldest now is 48, my youngest is still at home at 17.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

david@london

I've been re-reading this older topic and enjoying the many references to the TV show and Mr Rockford's telephones.

I found this image yesterday in a feature on classic Ford Cortinas......
it could certainly be captioned "If Jim Rockford Had Been British" !

Key2871

Obviously this thread was started before I found CRP forum but I enjoyed James in all his movies and TV shows.
I have the compete Rockford files on DVD, and like going back to my younger days by watching his sets change.
I'm sure many knowtest how his 2554 was not in the kitchen in some of his episode's, when the one before had it there, or an episode or two later it's not, then it's back again.
I never pictured him as a colored phone kinda guy in his trailer, just black. At times he had a 2500 in his bedroom, then a couple he had to go to the kitchen, then he had a trimlines, even a princess? Wow I never thought they would put a princess set in his room.
And how many times his fire bird would get wrecked, then next episode he has another, same color everything.
Yes a great actor has been lost. But he had good taste in most of his women.
KEN

Babybearjs

I used to love watching The Rockford Files too.... you just have to remember that Hollywood has this thing called a "Property Room" and all the set stuff is in it.... including almost every phone that was ever made... strange how the set designers kept changing things around... 2500 in black, then white, a trimline wall phone, then a 851 keyset.... I missed alot of the series and never noticed changed like that.... I hate it when we loose good actors.... and I really did like Garner... he was good.
John

david@london

If anyone would like their mobile phone ringtone to broadcast one of Mr R's answer-messages, downloads are available at this site:

https://flashbak.com/the-rockford-files-you-can-download-jim-rockfords-answering-machine-messages-for-your-mobile-here-39876/

Also of interest to aficionados of Jim's trailer (or is it a mobile home?) is this handy compilation of essential information regarding the 1959 Nashua.......

https://jimsuva.typepad.com/blog/2011/12/jim-rockfords-trailer-by-jim-suva-the-trailer-used-as-jim-rockfords-mobile-home-is-a-1959-nashua-house-trailer-the.html

19and41

When I wanted to have an unmistakable ringtone and stop missing calls, I found one from another NBC program that was a contemporary of the Rockford Files.  The battalion call out broadcast and the turnout claxon for Emergency!  Everyone knows when I get a call.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

david@london

As mentioned by jsowers here, the film Cash McCall, 1960 features some good shots of early speakerphones. WE592/1A Speakerphone; Paul-f's site has details......http://paul-f.com/we592.htm

Key2871

Quote from: 19and41 on March 18, 2020, 02:24:55 PM
When I wanted to have an unmistakable ringtone and stop missing calls, I found one from another NBC program that was a contemporary of the Rockford Files.  The battalion call out broadcast and the turnout claxon for Emergency!  Everyone knows when I get a call.
Lol, yea that ring tone would get attention for sure..
I always liked the loud tones and then the claxon going off. A real attention getter.

I liked the Rockford files So much I bought the entire series on DVD and just pick a season every so often and start watching again. Always get a kick out of the set changes and the phones too, they are not there one scene and there the next.. And even for the trimine in the bed room still rings like a C4A ringer.
I saw a few different shows where the phones or types changed because they never kept track of the type or color from one episode to the next.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: 19and41 on March 18, 2020, 02:24:55 PM
When I wanted to have an unmistakable ringtone and stop missing calls....

Here is mine - it doesn't half get me some funny looks in the supermarket though.  ;D

Four reactions:
eh? (stares in my direction)
I recognise that...
It's, it's....
Ohhhh....  :o

I bet they end up singing it in their heads for hours.  8)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTunhRVyREU

( way off topic there  :-[  so to bring this post back on topic, the following link has quite a few Rockford Files ringtones to download - reviews are currently good for the site but as per usual with any download site, checkout the latest reviews to make sure they remain safe -
https://www.zedge.net/find/ringtones/rockford%20files )

...and rereading this thread, I hadn't realised I had gotten myself pretty close to having my own 'Rockford Files telephone' with this unusual reverse logo NE2500D find:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24585
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Reminds my of our cat when she's hungry...
KEN

david@london

A couple more screenshots from the 1960 film Cash McCall....

HarrySmith

Is that a Rose Beige 554?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

david@london

Certainly looks like it Harry, yes....originally mentioned here by jsowers. Had never heard of this movie before but managed to find it online. James Garner plays a very successful business tycoon.