News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Worldwide Telephone Jacks and Plugs

Started by FABphones, July 23, 2019, 07:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I'm compiling a photo list of Worldwide Telephone Jacks and Plugs. A go-to quick reference photo guide for telephone enthusiasts to look up the country of origin here on CRPF.

It's coming along nicely and I'd like to add your photos to the list so I need the help of CRPF members.

Could you please post in reply to this thread, photos of any original Plugs/Jacks you have saying their Make/Country of origin etc (if you know - no probs if you don't).

No need to take any new photos if the Plug/Jack is pictured with your phone. I can crop and edit.

With thanks.

-----------
Eg:  French
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Here is the RJ-11 modular plug Northern Telecom used on their phones here in Canada.

Notice how they branded their plug with their logo.

ma_xyz

Cool Idea.

Here the swiss plugs.

Old plug style (Installed from ~50ies to the late 80ies), called T+T plug/connector.

Typicall residential type has 4 pins:
- a
- b
- W (external additional Ringer, optional)
- Earth (optional)

ma_xyz

Swiss old style with 2 pins, used in hospitality environments.

Swiss old style with 6 pins, used in business environments.

ma_xyz

Swiss new style (from the 80ies onwards, still in use) called the "Reichle" plug (because it was developped by the "Reichle & de Massari" Company.

Oficial name
Plug: T+T 87
Socket: T+T 83
(I don't know why, I always assumed the 83 is the year of introduction, but researching it now apparently not ...)

It is a 6 leads connector, The plug is the "female" and the socket the "male" connector.

The connectors are numbered
1a/1b
2a/2b
3a/3b

1a/1b would be the line, the other connectors can be used for external ringers, earth or also additonal lines.

The sockets are either single (6 leads) or double (12 leads).

The plugs and sockets can be "coded" to prevent putting plugs in the wrong sockets.

Also the sockets could be "locked", not a very useful feature because these plugs are not very loose and anyway will no just fall out...

dsk

Norway:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Telephone_plugs_Norway.jpg

3 pin for cb. 1&2 tip & ring 4 (third hole) ground or ringer in series.   6 pin plug. LB 1&2 line, 3&4 external ringer, 5&6 battery.

Today's std. : rj45 center pins = line.

countryman

Not photos but Wikipedia links.
Germany mostly used hard wired phones in private houses for a long time. Not until the late 1980ies the TAE plug (more or less a modernized/smaller version of the french plug) would appear. It is still in use today, also for DSL connections carrying VOIP alone and no more POTS.
Before, connector boxes ("Verbinderdose") AS4 or AS7 were used to simplify hard wiring. The actual plug was covered and sealed by the technician, it was forbidden for the end user to open the box. For PBX, 4 or 8 pole ADo connectors were in use. The round versions in the link ("Walzenstecker") are historic. A phone plug very similar to 1/4 inch jacks, just a tad longer, was used for military field phones.

For ISDN and (of course) ethernet connections, modular plugs (RJ...) came in use. ISDN was used a lot here for a while.

LarryInMichigan

I am attaching a picture of several of the plugs I have here.  Unfortunately, I do not remember the countries where most of these were used.

Larry

david@london

To keep the ball rolling on this interesting topic here are a couple of pix of a plug (4 prong) on a 1/72 Western Electric 2500.

Jim Stettler

Here is the plug for an Italian "Grillo" phone. It is the same 4 prong pattern as a WE 4 prong jack
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AT2796

Here is a Swedish plug from an Ericsson Ericofon. 
Andy

andre_janew

I do have a different version of the 4 prong.

andre_janew

I also have a different version of the RJ11.

countryman

Finally some pics from me.
First is the german TAE plug, second is a wall socket. Notice the variations how the slots are arranged. "F"is for "fones", "N" is for "non fones" (memory hook: F=foot slot, N=navel slot)
An answering machine, a fax (both "N") and a phone could be hooked to the same line if required.

Third is a "AS4" connector opened up.

last is a french handset plug. I've seen it on several "model 1910" handsets, it might have been used on switchboards, railway phones, field phones???

andre_janew

Here is my stackable 4 prong plug