News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Worldwide Telephone Jacks and Plugs

Started by FABphones, July 23, 2019, 07:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I am sorry this ended up to be more complicated than I could guess.
dsk

RB

Quote from: dsk on December 29, 2020, 08:35:32 AM
I am sorry this ended up to be more complicated than I could guess.
dsk

Don't be sorry, This thread is a good reference for anyone wanting to research these.

countryman

Indeed. A comprehensive list would be impossible to compile. Most telephone authorities used a proprietary standard, at least at some time.

Babybearjs

russ, the 12 pin plus and socket could have been used on small multiline phones, ITT 576, AE 87A, 187A, and other phones that used a 10 conductor line cords... also could have been used on additional equipment requiring 6 pair cabling.... speaker system??
John

countryman

Here's a modern Austrian plug, or adapter to modular.

countryman

Quote from: countryman on December 29, 2020, 03:23:43 PM
A comprehensive list would be impossible to compile.

It looks like someone already accepted the challenge and compiled quite a few pictures:
https://phone-jack.org/

dsk

Quote from: countryman on November 12, 2021, 01:59:45 PM
It looks like someone already accepted the challenge and compiled quite a few pictures:
https://phone-jack.org/

Then we all go for the Afghanistan standard :-)  Not esy, but yes a pretty good list, but it is difficult to see that Italian, Finish and Norwegian old plugs fits in the same jack.... maybe even more .

countryman

strange how Afghanistan appears repeatedly instead of the correct country names. I saw the correct version when I visited the site earlier but now it's messed up, no matter what browser or computer I use.
The site seems pretty old, as on a subpage the author refers to traveling with a computer modem. That would also be the only reason to gather this type of info, besides for us nerds :-)

The German standard plug (TAE) which is still in use is not mentioned, in many respects the list is far from being complete.

countryman

I just came across this old Czechoslovakian Tesla plug. It's a phone plug according to the info I got here (with more pics)
It's quite bulky for a phone plug and follows an unusual principle. It almost looks like the grandfather of the USB B plug!