News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on April 07, 2020, 07:58:33 PM
...so I wiped down my cat with Lysol. My scratches have stopped bleeding, the cat continues to smell funny and he is still mad at me.

To anyone considering anything similar PLEASE research first. Am sure teleplay will have looked it up but so many are using chemicals which will harm - or kill - their pet. Besides the harmful effects to hair and skin of many products, 19and41 reminds us that pets self clean and will ingest the product used. NEVER disinfect.

Better to simply wash your hands after stroking your pets.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

I really would not worry to pick up anything from the fur of a pet. Same as hard surfaces - there seems to be enough evidence that they are not involved much in spreading this virus. Disinfection will not stop it, as it travels much easier from human to human.

BUT it seems pets can get the infection without getting seriously ill from it. It's not sure they can then infect humans in return (by breathing aerosols).
The actual virus came into being when it was transferred from animals to humans - whenever this happens, there is a chance for mutations and the creation of a new subtype. I don't think it matters whether it's wildlife or pets.  So I think it's a good idea to keep distance from any pets and animals that had close contact with other humans. Disinfectants won't help.

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on April 08, 2020, 03:54:29 AM
To anyone considering anything similar PLEASE research first. Am sure teleplay will have looked it up but so many are using chemicals which will harm - or kill - their pet. Besides the harmful effects to hair and skin of many products, 19and41 reminds us that pets self clean and will ingest the product used. NEVER disinfect.

Better to simply wash your hands after stroking your pets.

I suspect TelePlay's post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.......
:)

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on April 08, 2020, 07:51:18 AM

Thanks tubaman.

Doesn't it just go to show how easy it is read something and see how others may read exactly the same thing and think it is ok to follow suit and do just that.
I had been reading the warnings from Vets telling folks NOT to wash their pets or use products.

Sometimes humor does not cross the continents, or the dopey individual (me).

HarrySmith

YEAH. I took it as it as humor.  ;D
As far as pets are concerned what I read was cats get it but dogs do not. Tigers at the Bronx Zoo got the virus from a handler so it will transfer at least one way, not sure about the other. I also read it started in a Chinese bath house, not from an animal. You never know what to believe on the internet, you can always find something contradictory to what you just read so take these statements and any other "facts" about this virus with a grain of salt.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Quote from: FABphones on April 08, 2020, 08:20:22 AM

Sometimes humor does not cross the continents, or the dopey individual (me).

I have always been confused as to what is considered humor over there myself.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I have found cats are good at informing one if they will tolerate a bath.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 08, 2020, 08:21:33 AM
As far as pets are concerned what I read was cats get it but dogs do not. Tigers at the Bronx Zoo got the virus from a handler so it will transfer at least one way, not sure about the other. I also read it started in a Chinese bath house, not from an animal. You never know what to believe on the internet, you can always find something contradictory to what you just read so take these statements and any other "facts" about this virus with a grain of salt.

Equally, I read no animals can pass it to humans.

Much to learn about this problem, in time the correct answers will come.

———-

British humour, hmmm, me, I am still at the jumping out whilst shouting 'boo' stage.
;D

Key2871

KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: tubaman on April 08, 2020, 07:51:18 AM

Yes, you are correct. They say good humor is that which includes a fair portion of the truth. I should have put a  ;) or  ::) or  :) after the humor. I have had a set of two cats since 1990. They never go outside and have always lived the life of Reilly.

That line came to me in two parts, first a video on TV saying to spray and wipe down surfaces that are touched a lot and then a news report I saw about felines (not canines) getting Covid-19 from humans and the virus living for some time on their fur. Those cats that got it would develop a cough but they said, for what they know as of now, that it could not be transferred from cats to humans. So, I put the two together, told the joke to my wife and she laughed. But of course, I was smiling after saying the line so she knew I was kidding. And, anyone who has ever had a cat knows what I meant about bleeding scratches when having to do something with a cat that they find less appealing than simply petting them.

So, I apologize to all who thought I was serious.

Nice to know there are others who have animals who properly care for them and I did not know that there are some who actually do things to their animals that are harmful. Always figured that if one took on the responsibility of ownership and care of any animal, they would do so in the best interest of the animal.

However, the joke did result in several replies with new content which I think added to know knowledge base of this virus.

=====

Local Walmart is limiting capacity to 800 including employees (10% of floor size) but I've never had to wait in a line. People are staying away from others as if they had the plague. And, shelves are returning to normal, except for hand sanitizer which continues to be empty. Top image was loo paper, bottom image is paper towels yesterday morning. They look the same today. Not filled as in normal times but improving after getting past the panic buyer frenzie.

New book coming out, 101 Ways Not To Use a Face Mask. So many ignorant people thinking they are protecting themselves when in fact are putting themselves in greater jeopardy than if they didn't wear one at all. Saw one person who use their right hand to grab the mask by the front, pull it down, scratch their nose with their right hand and then put the mask back in place.

compubit

Other than the "big 6" (as I call it: Hand Sanitizer, Masks, gloves, Lysol, rubbing alcohol, Clorox wipes), i've found everything I need (and then some) - except for yeast... 

Has everyone decided to become a baker?  Which is fine with me - leaves more options in the bakery section!

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

countryman

The lack of yeast surprised me a bit, too. But it is obvious that people sit at home and start baking, even more as flour was one of the hoarded items.
There are recipes out there on the web to cultivate your own yeast from beer. One I saw used 2 cooked and mashed potatoes (no salt), a teaspoon of sugar and 2 or 3 tablespoons of beer. Let sit for a 2 or 3 days. When you got it going, you can make a starter dough and freeze it for the next time baking.
Best part is that you only need very little beer for the dough ;-)

tubaman

Distinct shortage of flour in the shops here in the UK, which started pretty much as soon as the virus was announced.  This article from the BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760 - throws some light on why. It seems that there is no shortage of flour, just that it is usually mostly sold in bulk bags to factories etc and now consumers want more in their usual small bags. This is causing production packing issues.

Edited to add:

My wife has just returned from Tesco's - had to queue for nearly 3 hours!
She got there at 8am as it was opening and there was bit of queue, which she assumed would move quite quickly, but no. She was told that as they have 85 delivery pickers in the shop and are only allowing 110 total, that only 25 from the queue can be in the shop at any time. Then when it got to 9am they opened for priority shoppers (vulnerable, NHS etc) and the main queue pretty much stopped. She finally entered the shop at 11am.
Next week it'll be Lidl and we'll just go without some things!

Key2871

Teleplay I knew you were kidding, I also heard about cats and etc as well. But we have one cat who also lives inside, safe from cyotes Fisher cats etc..
But we all wash up when we get home before going about touching things. And we stay home a lot. Starting to get cabin fever though.
KEN