Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

Nippon Telephone and Telegraph model 8-E
Regards,
-Grayson

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LM Ericsson on July 28, 2021, 01:27:17 PM
Nippon Telephone and Telegraph model 8-E

Thanks for posting that. Is there any info on the base - like the manufacturer?

Jack

LM Ericsson

It's actually Nippon Electric Co., just listed it wrong on the title. Here's the bottom of the phone. One thing I noticed is the inspection sticker that is in Spanish, but can't figure out which country it came from, other that just being made in Japan.
Regards,
-Grayson

Jim Stettler

Isn't Nippon Electric the Japanese branch of Western Electric ?
That is what I heard long ago.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Jim Stettler on July 29, 2021, 06:24:48 PM
Isn't Nippon Electric the Japanese branch of Western Electric ?
That is what I heard long ago.
Jim

Not a branch but an affiliate - WE owned some shares and has management input in NEC but did not control it. NEC was one of the first Japanese companies to have a foreign affiliate. Previously foreign interests were not permitted.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LM Ericsson on July 29, 2021, 11:14:17 AM
It's actually Nippon Electric Co., just listed it wrong on the title. Here's the bottom of the phone. One thing I noticed is the inspection sticker that is in Spanish, but can't figure out which country it came from, other that just being made in Japan.

Thanks for the image.

I don't know where it was used but the circuit is in English and the QA sticker is in Spanish so it was not intended for the domestic Japanese market. The sticker on the base suggests it was intended for a Spanish market. Perhaps for the PSTN and perhaps for a PAX/PABX.

Jack

LM Ericsson

They did import these to Chile, but it would have had a CTC stamp on there if it were from there. It's still a mystery.
Regards,
-Grayson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 29, 2021, 07:53:20 PM
Not a branch but an affiliate - WE owned some shares and has management input in NEC but did not control it. NEC was one of the first Japanese companies to have a foreign affiliate. Previously foreign interests were not permitted.

Jack

Thank-you Jack

I appreciate the clarification
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.