News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Western Electric Model 500 with CNET 425B Network

Started by Dan/Panther, April 30, 2010, 01:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

What is the difference between the 425B network and the 425E network?

poplar1

425E has a screw terminal designated "C" to accommodate the spade-tipped hookswitch lead. On sets with 425B networks, most of the hookswitch leads are soldered, so there was no need for a "C" screw terminal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 30, 2010, 01:07:52 AM
I drew up this diagram for the above mentioned phone.
Please let me know if you find any errors.
D/P

Awesome! I just used it to resurrect a DOA 500.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Soundman

Hi Dennis-

I'm completing a wall phone for my Brother who is a retired cop/now disabled. In the box I have
1)  C Net 425B
2)  4 lead handset
3)  2 lead ringer
4)  5 lead rotary dial
5)  4 lead hook switch

Is there a diagram available that shows how to connect these components including the 4 lead handset hook? I already have L1 and L2 connected as well as the handset, but no dial tone. (I can hear open line noise, but no dial tone.) I'm excited to complete this as a gift to him, but I'm stuck....screwed!

HarrySmith

What kind of telephone service do you have? Can you post pictures of the insides? Pictures will help in figuring out the wiring.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

markosjal

Sounds to me like it is no different than a 500.

Just determine which set of contacts on the dial are pulse and which are to mute the ear.

As for hookswitch similar situation but one set of contacts opens first and breaks last (this set is to cut the line or hang up) and which the set that makes first and breaks first is to mute the loud CLICKS caused by fist hookswitch contacts set.

The only thing I see is that it is an older dial but that is not an issue.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Soundman

Is it possible to add the 4 hook contact wires to the wiring diagram you made for the CNET 425B? Also, my rotary dial 5 five leads. (I'm so close to completing the phone box as a gift to my Brother.)

MMikeJBenN27

Other than the fact that there was no mention of how to wire the ringer if you still have grounded ringing, as I do, it looks fine to me.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: Soundman on April 13, 2023, 07:34:16 PMIs it possible to add the 4 hook contact wires to the wiring diagram you made for the CNET 425B? Also, my rotary dial 5 five leads. (I'm so close to completing the phone box as a gift to my Brother.)

Kinda difficult without knowing how your hookswitch is configured, or your dial. Can you show pictures of the contacts on these components?

You should connect one pair of normally open hookswitch contacts to L2 and C. (On the 425B, the "C" terminal is actually just a solder point in the lower left corner of the network, next to GN. Hopefully, the previous owner left a short wire connected to that solder point.)

Then, install a short piece of wire from L1 to F. Connect the dial pulsing contacts fo F and RR.

Ringer connections for a 2-wire ringer are shown in Reply #29.

You still need to mute the receiver when the dial is operated, so that you don't hear the loud clicks. Depending on which dial you have, you would either open the receiver or short it.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

I think CNET is a misnomer for the 425B Network.  The "C" is the designation for the terminal at the front right of the terminal board. It usually has a wire soldered to it. On some 425s its a screw terminal (I think marked "E") usually found in 685 subsets.
Howard