News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Common Western Electric "Solid-Back" Transmitters and Cups

Started by dencins, April 29, 2011, 09:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The *228* was used on streetcars and other obscure uses, and so it is rare, but not exactly in high demand.  The 229w was commonly used on a number of desk phones.  Lug refers to the lug that was attached to the back of the transmitter cup for use on candlesticks and 293A wall phones.   Cups without lugs were used on No. 10 arms. Can you post a picture of the *228* faceplate???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

gands-antiques

Greg...

Requested picture of *228* transmitter faceplate ...

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

shadow67

I have a nickel 20-B candlestick. I have acquired a 229W nickel transmitter and two possible cups for the backside. Photo attached. My question is which would be more appropriate for this phone? I thought the one with the patent dates and two pieces would be but not sure. Thanks.

Jack Ryan

I think the one with the patent dates too. It was made up until 1909 and was probably the one most likely to be found on a 20-B.

But that's just me.

Jack

shadow67

Thanks. I tend to agree. I have been looking for a Bell System *229* transmitter but those seem hard to find. I settled for the 229W which I think will look good on it. 

shadow67

Most all of the transmitter cups I have acquired have holes around the edge to screw into the transmitter assembly. I recently acquired a nickel cup with American Bell markings and dates on it. However, unlike my others, this one has notches instead of holes. It is identical in every other regard. Does anyone have info as to what time frame these were used or if the notched were later/earlier than holed ones? Attached photo is not of mine but similar one I found online. Thanks

HarrySmith

The wood phone I am working on now has the notches in it, I did not even pay attention to that until I saw your post. It has been painted flat black. I do not recall what, if  any, markings are on it but I will check and post here this weekend.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"