News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

rotary question

Started by Jaymzbo, February 12, 2015, 12:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaymzbo

Hi ya all I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a candlestick with a rotary? I had looked around and could only find remakes with push button dial pads. Any advice in advance is appreciated.

Russ Kirk

take a look at these listed on eBay and see if they fit your needs and price range.
From your message it looks like you can tell the remakes from the real McCoys.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/telephones/candlestick

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

There are various options and price ranges.  Certainly, the prices increase with rarity and condition.  Are you looking for a candlestick in great condition or a restoration project?  Do you plan to use it for phone calls?  If so, you will need a subset.  If you want the older style of transmitter, you will have to realize that the sound quality will not be as good as people expect.  At any rate, learning about spotting fakes will be a good starting point and help you to avoid a costly mistake.  Many of the candlestick phones for sale are repros, and I think that the British ones are especially likely to be repros or include repro parts.  A real Western Electric 51-AL or similar model (without the subset) can be found with a bit of effort for $150 or so.  Note that the older style dials, like the WE #2 (with the finger stop mounted on the outside) generally increases a phone's value considerably.

Happy Hunting!

Larry