News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone Collect Antique Fans?

Started by BDM, July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Excellent job, Dennis.  It seems no matter what you turn your hand to, it turns out looking like new again.

That particular base and motor design were virtually unchanged from the big fans GE made in the 1920s.  I have a 1930-ish GE with the same base and motor, and it's still in continuous use.  In my old apartment, the air conditioning flow in the bedroom was weak, so that fan ran 24 hours a day for several months during the summer, without a break and with no problems whatsoever.  They're brilliant fans.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks, Darrin.  They really amazing.  Similar to phones.  Here sixty years later it's working like day one.  This one pushes a lot of air and is really quiet.  It didn't take a lot of abuse over its lifetime.  From the couple of fan forums I've visited there are some people out there with some very nice fans.  Some of them bring big bucks too.  Especially the old Western Electrics.

Doug Rose

I have two Western Electric fans. Both are in working condition, one is a small black fan that was used on switchboards. The second is this beauty that I found on Craig's List 5 years ago for $10.....Doug
Kidphone

bwanna

ah...the luxury of retirement, to have a entire day to spend sale-ing & refurbing your find! seriously, dennis, beautiful work, as always.  :)
donna

Dennis Markham

Thanks, Donna.  Believe me I had more important things to do....but once I got started I didn't want to stop until it was "finished".....for once.

Doug, awesome fan.  One of these days I hope to stumble upon something like yours.  It looks to be in great shape.

Doug Rose

Dennis...it was in pile with a dozen other fans. No respect at all! I was certainly surprised when I got it home and polished it up that is was in like new condtion. Anyone who has polished a fan knows that this is not an easy job. My hands had little slices everywhere. ......Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Doug, You are supposed to turn them off before you clean them. :D Is that a Gecophone in the background on the wall? I have only seen two of them in the last five years on eBay. Luckily, I got one of them. They have such a nice design to them.
Dougpav

Doug Rose

It is a Ge co phone. I was fortunate to find a US seller on eBay a few years go selling this. Shipping from Europe, before the Priority flat box was always cost prohibitive. They are a tough find with their really cool design.

Even turned off; the fans, unlike me, are really sharp....Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

Look out fan world... here he comes!  8)  Excellent fan Dennis, the headwire looks to be in great shape too.

Dennis Markham

Craig, you mean look out fan world?? :)   Thanks.

Craig T

Dennis, have you had the chance to run it for an extended period yet? I like the blade shape on the Vortys too.  I run a 1930s Signal in the office all day and it hardly gets warm.

Geez, I missed the part about 6 fans now, looks like I need to catch up!  :)

Fantastic as always Doug, do you get to run it much?

Dennis Markham

I did run it much of the day and it is warm to the touch on the top of the motor.  That prompted me to decide to remove the housing and try and lubricate the bearing.  You know the old saying?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I thought I messed it up when a little spacer fell out as I pulled the main shaft out.  :)  I put some lube on the axis points and managed to get it back together but I was holding my breath.  It's been running about an hour or more now and is very quiet and smooth...but still warm to the touch on the top of the motor housing.  Perhaps it's the nature of the beast.  It's been running on low which really pushes the air.

bingster

Mine are warm to the touch, too, when run for an extended time.  They're completely clean and are kept lubricated, so I vote for "nature of the beast," too.
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: Wallphone on August 16, 2010, 08:39:59 AM
Doug, You are supposed to turn them off before you clean them. :D Is that a Gecophone in the background on the wall? I have only seen two of them in the last five years on eBay. Luckily, I got one of them. They have such a nice design to them.
Dougpav

I've reviewed the posted pictures several times, looking for the Gecophone in the background. Is it a chameleon gecophone? Have the pictures been modified? Is it in the two pictures posted by Doug (Kidphone) earlier today?

I CAN'T FIND IT....which page?

Terry

Doug Rose

Here is the phone....Doug
Kidphone