News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

40al Patent Dates

Started by wds, January 17, 2015, 08:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I was always under the impression that 40al's had a single patent date on the base of Jan 26 15.  That was a good way to determine if the stick was a 40al or some other model.   Here's one that has the patent dates of Aug 16 04 Sept 13 04 Jan 26 15, much like a 20al.  This 40al is all steel, with the grey perch and receiver arm.  Seems to be all original.  I'm guessing that there much have been two production runs for the 40al?
Dave

poplar1

WE Catalog #6 (1925) shows 1040ALs but not 1020ALs. Catalog #5 (1923) shows 1020ALs but not 1040ALs. I don't know whether manufacture dates can be inferred from that. It does seem logical that the 1904 patent dates would have been eliminated by 1921.

IIRC, the hook and lug holder (perch) on 40ALs are usually painted (black) brass, not Bower Barff steel (gray).

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

The base plate and stem are definitely steel, the rest brass.  Here's a picture showing the contrast in color between the grey and black.  The receiver arm is almost exactly the same color as the stem, the perch is a slightly darker color grey.  Quite an interesting find.
Dave

wds

Here's a quote from the Wistful Vista website:

"40 SERIES - Series 40 desk stands are identical to series 20 desk stands, except that the bases and stems are steel.
The steel bases and stems of brand new 40 series desk stands were anodized in a dark gray Bower-Barff finish (honest, that's the name).  Brass receiver hooks, perches, transmitter cups and transmitter faceplates were painted in a matching dark gray finish.
Factory refurbished series 40 desk stands were frequently repainted in black enamel."

Based on this, I would assume that since this transmitter is dated 1936 that the transmitter & cup were switched out and replaced with black parts.  Still need to figure out the dates though. 
Dave

Doug Rose

I have one with the painted brass hks and perch painted in the Bower-Barf and one with the polished brass. Both finishes look very nice. Dave Johnson of Wistful Vista is a great guy...Doug
Kidphone

wds

I think the all grey finish 40al's are very hard to find because of refurbishing by the phone companies.  I've never seen a gray cup and transmitter so I will have to add that to my "got to have" list. 
Dave

poplar1

I don't suppose there would ever be a perfect match, since the handle (stem) and base are "Bower-barff finished steel" but the hook, transmitter (and transmitter bell (cup) are brass. The Bower-barff finish isn't paint.

However, the catalogs cited earlier don't show "gray" transmitters. In the 1923 #5 catalog, they were transitioning from 323W (nickel plated) to 323BW (black) transmitters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catalog #6 includes the 1040-AL and 1051-AL, both shown with 323BW transmitters. (pp. 63-64)

Cat. #6 (1925) Page 270, Transmitters:
                               Wall and Desk Set Types

Code
No.                                Service

323BW   General standard transmitter for telephones and desk stands. Black finish. Mounts by means
                of bolt and screw. Same as 323W except finish.

337BW   For use on long subscribers loops. Similar to the No. 323BW.. Black finish. Mounts by means
                 of bolt and screw.

353BW  Former standard for wall type magneto telephones. Transmitter mounts on an adjustable arm
                  bracket and has an overall length of 8 3/4 inches. Black finish.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cat. #5 (1923) includes 1020-AL (pg. 173)  and 1051-AL 1050-AL (pg. 79) desk stands.

Transmitter section includes the 323BW and 337BW (page 266).
While both are shown in black finish only, the 323BW has the following notation:

*Nickel plated transmitter will be furnished until present stocks are exhausted.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Here is my BB 40AL...Doug
Kidphone

wds

Does anyone have a 40al with these earlier patent dates?
Dave

Sargeguy

Not me, wish I did.  This must be early production from 1921(?).  Despite the widely circulated story that 40-ALs were made to save brass during the First World War they were not introduced until later.  The exact date is uncertain but this sheds some light on the subject.  Nice find!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Here is my other BB stick with the Bulldog transmitter and brass. Both just have the single patent date. Nice find Dave.....Doug
Kidphone

wds

mine.  receiver is stamped "Tel Co Property"
Dave

Sargeguy

If this were my phone I'd be tempted to put the nickel plated cup and transmitter on it like Doug has.  Since it is an early issue 40-AL that would be appropriate and look pretty cool.  Also swap out the TELCO PROPERTY stamped cap for a plain one, that way it would be restored to original condition.  It's pretty cool as is though.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409