News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restored WE 20AL

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, May 31, 2015, 12:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I just finished up adding the final touches to this newly restored WE 20AL Candlestick!

When I got it, it was trashed. It had been lamped, the receiver was smashed, cords were incorrect, the transmitter face was Leich and the transmitter cup was drilled though and dented.

I replaced the transmitter with a nickel 329W from my project 20B. The nickel had enough 'flea bites' in it that it wouldn't look good with new nickel, but it was complete enough that I didn't have the courage to remove it. (I'm still looking for a *329* for my 20B) I replaced the smashed receiver with a 143 with a hard rubber shell and Bakelike cap. I also installed a base grommet for the cord opening on the base (early style base).

The bare brass parts were powdercoated by my dad, which looks exceptional!

I recovered the base plate with green felt from Hobby Lobby, and I added a repro green receiver cord from OPS.

I cleaned up a 295A I had lying around, and voilĂ !

I still need a cord to attach to the subset, but otherwise it looks great, IMHO!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Nicely done Christian!  This helps me visualize one of my own incomplete projects, my 20AB converted to a 20AL.  Mine already has green felt on the base, and like yours, I have put a nickeled transmitter on it, so I might go with the green cord like yours.  If you get the chance, how about a photo of it with the 295A subset?
Cliff

Doug Rose

Real nice Christian.....Dad done good too!!
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks, guys! ;D

Cliff; I took a picture with the subset, but it came across the error when I uploaded. I tried to screenshot it--many times--with no change.
Christian Petterson

zaphod01

Nice job!

I sent you a PM on your quest for a *329* transmitter.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

HarrySmith

Excellent! I like the green cords on the black sticks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 31, 2015, 06:29:30 PM
Excellent! I like the green cords on the black sticks!
I agree!

I thought about putting brown cords and a brown base on this, but I thought it wouldn't stand out at all. This makes it look much nicer, and I think it really goes well with the nickel.

I'm going to have the same combination on my nickel 20-B!
Christian Petterson

Sargeguy

Looks pretty good!  I like "two-tones".   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409