News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spiral Column Kellogg Candlestick

Started by wds, January 15, 2016, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up another really nice phone, this time a spiral column Kellogg.  I sent it to Dennis along with the Am. E. fluted column to be replated, and it came back as close to perfect as it can get.  The bottom of the phone is missing the terminal block, so I will have to locate one to make the phone complete.  Another nice one for the collection.
Dave

Buzby

AE_Collector

Yes, very nice Dave. You are building quite a nice telephone collection.

We need some more entries in the January Find of the Month. Maybe you can win two months in a row!

Terry

Buzby

How much did you pick it up for, Dave?

I'd be happy to nominate this beauty.

Mr. Bones

WOW, Dave!!!

Absolutely Drool-a-icious!!!! 8) 8) 8)

Nice find, and Kudos on the superb plating job!!!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

wds

It was $85 with shipping, and about the same amount to have it plated.  It sure does get your attention. 
Dave

Jack Ryan

It is certainly an attention grabber but did Kellogg make a phone like that? When would that have been?

Thanks
Jack

HarrySmith

darn! Nice stick! I'm jealous, 2 great sticks in a row! Congrats.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I have wondered about the origins of the spiral shaft also.  I've seen the Kelloggs with the fluted columns, but not the spiral column.  That shaft won't fit on any of my other candlesticks, so it's specific to this phone.  It's well made, solid brass.  There aren't many catalogs for Kellogg,  and I haven't found either one in their catalogs, so it's hard to say if it's original, or aftermarket.  I will ask around and see what I can find. 
Dave

rdelius

I have taken Kellogg sticks with a damaged bakelite/hard rubber sleeve and replaced them with a brass fluted cover intended to be part of a lamp.The diameter was perfect. All I had to do was cut it to the proper legnth.Still have some of this lamp tubing

Jack Ryan

There are a fair number of catalogues on Kellogg Mike's site but I don't think you will find it there. I don't think it's a Kellogg item myself.

It's still an attention grabber though...

Jack

wds

That sure looks like it.  My Kellogg shaft is 1 1/8" o.d., so these wouldn't work, but you're probably right about the sprial shaft being an after market item.  Also the top and bottom of my spiral shaft looks like a nice smooth machine cut, not something someone like me would do in my shop with a hack saw. 
Dave

Ktownphoneco

I hate raining on anyone's parade, but unfortunately things like this happen.     Here's a link to basically the same ornamental tubing with an 1-1/8" inch diameter.

http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/2705_1-18-od-x-36-rope-style-brass-tubing.         Dave, the flip side of the coin is you can probably locate a web site selling the straight fluted columns in 1-1/8", which if cut to the correct length, could make the candlestick fairly accurate in appearance and physical dimensions of the old Kellogg desk stands.

Jeff Lamb

wds

I'm not upset at all - it's still a great looking phone.  I think I will buy some of the Reeded brass tubing and see what I can make out of it.  Although, if I'm reading it correctly, that tubing is very expensive.
Dave