News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spiral Column Kellogg Candlestick

Started by wds, January 15, 2016, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

I was told by a very old man who collected antique phones that fluted and rope shaft desk stands were made from standard catalog brass decorative tubing. 
The tubing wasn't manufactured for phones or lamps. The fancy tubing was made specifically for expensive brass beds.
Think I'm going to create a Western Electric fluted shaft 151AL.
VERY RARE!!

HarrySmith

Does the spiral cover come off? Is there a straight shaft underneath? There was a post on the list today that years back a member had some spiral covers made for Kellogg sticks to replace the often broken phenolic cover.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Yes, the rope shaft replaces the bakelite cover that would normally be on this phone.  The rope shaft fits pretty snug just like the bakelite cover.
Dave

wds

Interesting thread.  Here's a picture of a SC candlestick with a reeded tube over the shaft.  On Stromberg, there wouldn't normally be a bakelite cover, so this tube does not fit properly.  You can see the tube is too large for the steel shaft and doesn't fit properly up against the perch.  On the Kellogg at least it looks like it belongs there.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave ...both stick are superb. I think most of us would be happy just to have one of them. You done good....really good....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

That SC stick is from COT. That is the same lamp tubing that fits the Kellogg sticks. It does not fit the SC as well because the shaft on the stick is smaller than the Kellogg.No paint to scratch or wear off
or on the Kellogg replaces the damaged or missing covering