News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Truck

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 20, 2016, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys! I do park away from everybody else...either that, or park next to someone with a really nice truck (less likely to be smacked by their door).

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 25, 2017, 08:01:53 AM
The emblems all used to be attached like that, with studs and speed nuts on the back. On the newer vehicles they are attached with double sided tape. You might be better off cutting the stud that is left and using the double sided tape. The other option would be to apply the tape around the stud and use it for alignment.

These emblems are actually a cross between the two. The studs are simply for alignment, and they were attached with some kind of rubberized glue from the factory. When I put it on, one side will have to be 'eyed up' to make sure everything is level before permanently taping it on.

The Ford emblem on the grille is attached with the stud-and-lock nut method. All emblems on this truck are plastic, so the studs themselves are actually plastic--the nut is self-tapping, and threaded the stud as it was bolted on!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

On my '96 F150, the pegs are to index the emblem with holes in the fender that is then attached with double sided tape.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on July 25, 2017, 08:22:02 PM
On my '96 F150, the pegs are to index the emblem with holes in the fender that is then attached with double sided tape.
Yep, that's how it is on my truck. I'm pretty sure the F150 emblems on new trucks have the same method.

The only difference with mine is that there is a border around the edge of the back of the emblem where the black adhesive was applied. I think they used the same stuff for the tailgate trim panel where it contacts the tailgate, to prevent scratching.

I will be using 3M double-sided tape for my emblems when I put them back on.
Christian Petterson

19and41

One other thing, If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with how the emblems appear, You can often find better examples on Ebay.  That's what I did.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on July 25, 2017, 09:45:39 PM
One other thing, If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with how the emblems appear, You can often find better examples on Ebay.  That's what I did.
One of the emblems I'm using here came from the best set I could find on ebay. Even that one had bleached and badly cracked letters--it's pretty obvious that Ford didn't have much of a grasp on UV-stable plastics in the '80s...

One company makes reproduction emblems, but they only have 'Custom' and 'XL', the other two F-Series trim levels at the time. The only one they don't make is 'XLT Lariat', for my truck!

I'm perfectly happy with these, as long as the epoxy stays in good shape! ;)
Christian Petterson

tallguy58

Great old truck there. Nice job with the details.
Cheers........Bill

Pourme

I'm waiting for the show off "Glamour Shots"!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

compubit

Great truck! Looks like it's ready for another 30 years!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

19and41

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on July 25, 2017, 11:25:34 PM
One of the emblems I'm using here came from the best set I could find on ebay. Even that one had bleached and badly cracked letters--it's pretty obvious that Ford didn't have much of a grasp on UV-stable plastics in the '80s...

One company makes reproduction emblems, but they only have 'Custom' and 'XL', the other two F-Series trim levels at the time. The only one they don't make is 'XLT Lariat', for my truck!

I'm perfectly happy with these, as long as the epoxy stays in good shape!

I had a '79 Ranchero in which all the internal white plastic in the instrument panel began to turn to chalk and crumble to bits.  That was a dissapointment.  It took finding 3 other assemblies to get one acceptable one.
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on July 26, 2017, 05:41:08 PM
I'm waiting for the show off "Glamour Shots"!
Oh, those are still to come! I still have the tailgate trim panel, emblems, etc to install before it's really presentable. In the meantime, here are some better pictures I took on a sunnier day. I also threw a 'before' picture in there for comparison:
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I got new tires yesterday!

These are almost as close as you can get to the factory tires today. Back then, they were just called "Firestone Radial A/T"s, but today they're "Firestone Destination A/T"s. The A/Ts are pretty expensive, at about $80 per tire.

At the last minute, I decided to opt for the more car-oriented Destination LE2. The A/T is slightly more rugged, and looks less modern, but an all-terrain tire doesn't really fit an on-road, sunny weather collector vehicle, and at $50 per tire, the LE2 seemed like a much better deal to me. Plus, it still has the classic Firestone white lettering--very fitting for this truck! 8)

These tires are now the factory size, which is several inches shorter than the old ones. I can't believe how much easier it is to get into the truck now!
Christian Petterson

19and41

Those are some pretty nice prices on those tires.  The only ones one can find around here between 50 and eighty bucks are pretty much maypops. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on August 10, 2017, 08:02:28 PM
Those are some pretty nice prices on those tires.  The only ones one can find around here between 50 and eighty bucks are pretty much maypops. 
I thought it was a great deal. A friend of mine at work has bought BF Goodrich KO2s for all 3 trucks he has owned, and he's only 23. Around here, KO2s cost over $160 per tire! I think I got a great deal on some factory correct Summer tires! :)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, no updates as far as the emblems go--the fender badges are pretty much finished and need to be installed, and the tailgate trim piece was clear coated, but needs to have original plastic pieces repaired/replaced, and will be installed along with the fender badges.

Last week, I drove to Kenosha to get my bed Line-X coated. I didn't want the bed painted when it was at the body shop: That would have been incredibly more expensive, plus hard to maintain and keep scratch-free. A plastic drop-in would have looked really cheap, as they tend to warp, scratch, crack, and collect dust and dirt. This looks similar to how a period-correct drop-in would have looked.

I also got Collector Plates!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I also got it detailed today. It took 3 hours, but it was worth it!
Christian Petterson