News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I convert an LPB-8610 to touch-tone with this?

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, June 14, 2018, 07:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I don't think that's going to work. The problem is, the carbon grains settle and then when you use the phone, they only move a little, creating static on the line. Very annoying static, loud in the side tone (receiver) of the handset. You can try removing the caps, but they may be glued.
What I would recommend, is running the end under HOT water, and using a strap wrench try turning off the cap. It may not work, then your only alternative is to cut the cap off, replace the transmitter, and the cap.
If it's black, you might be better off just replacing the handset, they are $5.00 on the bay, I can send you a link. But you still have to get the cord off your old handset.
But I would try a wood stick, just tap around the transmitter sides and see if that works. For now it's a lot easier.
Sometimes owning a pay phone is not easy, when it comes down to repair.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

I can unscrew my caps (remember, this was converted for home use).   

What should I do then?   
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

Key2871

Oh, I missed that. I had a NE that was for home use, but the caps were stuck with silicone.
Had to do the hot water route with a strap wrench. So cool, your all set.
KEN

RotarDad

The goal is to ensure the electrical contacts inside the handset are making a good connection.  Two issues could be corrosion and/or insufficient mechanical contact.  I don't have an AE handset to look at, but you may want to loosen/tighten any screws that secure wires.  If there are contacts which just touch the mouthpiece or earpiece as the caps are screwed down, you could bend them up slightly to increase the spring tension to help ensure a good connection.  On a WE handset, sometimes just loosening and tightening the mouthpiece cap a few times will cause the mouthpiece to slide against the handset contacts enough to "fix" a static issue.
Paul

Fushigi Ojisan

Cracked it open, here are the pics.

Pic 1:  This is WAY more substantial than home units

Pic 2:  Its wired.  So what is the purpose of that ring?   some kind of gasket?

Pic 3:  So, whats with this paper?  Can I take it out?   

I did loosen/re-tighten the screws, that seems to have helped quite a bit.  Will need to test it again.

Also note its a thick rubber cord, not the shielded variety.   Again, converted to home use.
Fushigi Ojisan

Key2871

The paper is like cotton used in WE, ITT, and other sets. To avoid sound from traveling back to the transmitter causing feedback. Though I never heard of any issues. The ring could be some sort of gasket to help keep moisture out. Because this is a payphone handset. Some were not really out of rain or snow completely.
You could replace the paper with a wad of cotton. But I would have one or the other.
KEN

Fushigi Ojisan

Just confirming its supposed to be in there and wasn't some kludge.

Thanks for the input.

Adding in a couple pics of the back, there is a stamping but I could not get a good shot of it.

The number on the back is "51810"
Fushigi Ojisan