"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

PTT 24 French Desk Set with Larger AE Style Dial

Started by FABphones, June 21, 2018, 12:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

OK. Surprise! It's a phone...

...but WOW. I bought this from a French seller. This one is a contender for the best ever packing award. Shipping cost was about 8e. Incredible. My packing instructions followed really well - and some! Arrived fast - and when I finally got through all that bubble wrap and was able to see and touch it - I am in love!!  ;D   

I have some investigating to do on this one but I've found a date, 1927.

Sooo, first, the packing. I'm pleased to say it was a case of photo after photo of bubble wrap with this one - 'there's a phone in there somewhere'.

I'll keep this bit short  ;)   :
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

And now the reveal. From Paris, France.

This goes straight to the top of my favourite phone list.

And I will admit, first thing I did once I got this gorgeous piece of art out of all that wonderful bubble wrap protection was kiss it.   :-*    ...the second thing I did was pour that glass of bubbly to celebrate!
Paris and a Kir Royale. The perfect match.   ;)  :D

So glad to have found this one I had to share. Introducing my beautiful French Column phone:

HarrySmith

Very Nice! Looks beautiful, I am sure once it is cleaned up a little it will look like brand new! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

French model of 1924.WE had similar handsets on some A1 sets  No idea what the ringer looked like in these sets

FABphones

Correct RD. Not had a chance to take a peek inside yet but I've wanted one of these beauties for a while. Often they have the dials changed out for the later (ugly) version as their dials weren't known for their reliabiity and are increasingly hard to find. Am only just starting my investigations as to this one's history, but early indications are it's original home was here (translated to English):

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%25C3%25B4tel_de_la_Marine&prev=search

'The Hôtel de la Marine (also called Hotel Garde-Meuble ) is located in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, Place de la Concorde, east of Rue Royale'.

:)

RB

Very nice!
is that a mother in law speaker hangin on the back?

Nick in Manitou

Doug Rose

Very Nice Indeed....one of my favorite phones....Doug

Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: RB on June 21, 2018, 03:01:12 PM
Very nice!
is that a mother in law speaker hangin on the back?

Well spotted. Yes, a nice heavy one too. This phone weighs in at about 5kg, and feels really weighty and nice to handle.

Have had no time yet to start looking a bit closer at it, I will be very cautious opening this one up.

---

Thanks Doug. There aren't many phones I would want more than one of but I could be am tempted by this model.

*Could you add to this thread photos of the two plaques on the base, ecouter (listener), earpiece, and another of the centre of the handset of your phone? These two are so alike I'm interested to see if they are related. Not sure they are, yours has the 'beauty spot' on the base. Ericssons had those too. Early days yet so still lots to learn. All good fun.

david@london

fabphones -

congrats, that's a real beaut.

have you seen the wall version - another amazing french phone......?

Ktownphoneco

F/P  ....   I think I've posted this one before, but can't remember.   The attached "PDF" picture file is of the same telephone that I restored for another collector here in Canada.      I made the display stand for him as well, but he was very particular as to how it was finished.      The pictures show the French subset that accompanied the telephone set when it was in service.     There are a couple of pictures of the tags as well.    Just increase your "PDF" reader page size to 200 percent to make reading the tags easier.     I would have liked to sand and re-plate the set's hardware, but if the set is a foreign model to which I don't have access to parts in case of breakage, I won't attempt anything that could result in damage.

The display stand is made of hard maple.

Have a great evening.

Jeff Lamb

Pourme

Fabphones,
You have reason to be proud of this phone...what a beautiful piece!
Congrats!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

Very Nice D@L. Not sure if I have seen one of those but I'll certainly look closer at that style of wallphone from now on. These models are PTT 24 although as I understand it, none were actually made available in 1924. This one is 1927, I might see just how early a date I can find.

- ktown, that phone just shines right back at you. Nice attention to detail too.

My little telephone collection (I'll have to have a count up, maybe about 30+ ish now) has attracted the attention of a couple of ex-BT engineer buddies so this weekend they are coming to have a trip down memory lane, and also take a look at all the 'foreign' models I've been adding to my GPO collection. I am indeed honoured.  :)

*Thank you Pourme. I think I've come on a lot since I first found this site. My head is stuffed with more knowledge, and my shelves are stuffed with more phones.  :D

Doug Rose

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on June 21, 2018, 04:34:47 PM
F/P  ....   I think I've posted this one before, but can't remember.   The attached "PDF" picture file is of the same telephone that I restored for another collector here in Canada.      I made the display stand for him as well, but he was very particular as to how it was finished.      The pictures show the French subset that accompanied the telephone set when it was in service.     There are a couple of pictures of the tags as well.    Just increase your "PDF" reader page size to 200 percent to make reading the tags easier.     I would have liked to sand and re-plate the set's hardware, but if the set is a foreign model to which I don't have access to parts in case of breakage, I won't attempt anything that could result in damage.

The display stand is made of hard maple.

Have a great evening.

Jeff Lamb
Real Nice Jeff.....thanks for posting it....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 21, 2018, 08:24:53 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on June 21, 2018, 08:24:53 PM

Thanks Doug.

Jeff