News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20B/20S

Started by shadow67, December 17, 2018, 10:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

I recently acquired this phone. It appears to be a 20B struck out and 20S stamped on the front of the perch. It is black except for a nickel transmitter *229* with Property of American Bell on the back. It also has the exposed wire going into the back of the cup. the wire seems stuck and will not come out but I don't want to force it. The receiver is an empty shell with a Kellogg cap on it. It has old green felt on the bottom and snipped off green cords in the base. I took the bottom cover off to look inside. I want to disassemble this stick but am not sure on the procedure, as i have never taken one apart an do not want to damage it. Any comments or pointers appreciated.

Butch Harlow

Take the screws out of the base. This will release the switch and perch from the base tube. The center screw screws directly into the end of the hookswitch, holding it in place. Then, once that's free you will have access. The hook itself is held in by a pin, just pull out the pin to release the hook from the switch. The transmitter face has 4 screws into the cup to release it. You dont have to take the screws all the way out, just loose enough to clear the cup. The cup comes off the perch by the bolt between them only. Pretty easy once the base cover is off. Good luck and have fun!
Butch Harlow

RB

Nice nab, Shadow!
That one shud come around nicely!

shadow67

Thanks for those instructions, it came apart very easily. I removed the snipped cords. I found a paper tag on one that said Western Electric and a 1914 date. I believe you can get replacements cords for these. Who are you experts' favorite cord places to order from? Do they make the single one with the pin that goes into the back of the transmitter cup? I took the transmitter apart partially. It has a Dec 1917 date stamped inside and looks a little crusty and rusty. I was able to loosen the screw that held the pin for the wire in. I have included photos. Do you think this transmitter is serviceable, or do I need to find another? I'm not really sure how to test it. The receiver shell is empty, but I found a bipolar receiver magnet online that I ordered and a diaphragm also. The only thing I am concerned about is the transmitter. I would really like to keep the original type as that was one reason I bought the phone.

shadow67

couple more pics

poplar1

oldphoneworks.com manufactures the 3 cords you need.

phonecoinc.com also has cloth cords, but you would need to specify "olive" color, rather than "green."

N.B.: Please don't throw away the old cord parts. WE catalogs used to advise sending the old parts to them for exact replacement!

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/cord-transmitter-cloth-green-pin-spade-9-for-candlestick-with-grounded-transmitter.html

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/cloth-covered-receiver-cord-various-colors-and-styles.html
(Specify WE Green + spade to tip)

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/cloth-covered-line-cord-spades-on-both-ends-in-various-colors.html
(I think they can also make this 3-conductor cord to subset with ties rather than metal cord restraints.)

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

shadow67

thank you for that info. The pin on my transmitter cord seems shorter that the ones i see for sale. Do you think that is an issue?

Jim Stettler

My guess is that they can reuse your ends.That is a question worth asking.
If they can/will, then send the cord to be custom rebuilt.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

I think if you contact Matt at oldphkneworks he will answer all your questions, you may be able to shorten that connector as well. As far as the transmitter, they are serviceable. They are filled with carbon granules that transmit the sound waves. I know someone here has done this before and I have seen replacement granules on Ebay of all places. I am sure if you search around on the forum there is probably a thread on doing it.
Butch Harlow

shadow67

thanks for all the comments. I have one more question...reading other posts it seems that patent dates should be either on the perch or on the base of the phone, but not both. Since mine has dates on both would this be incorrect? thanks

Butch Harlow

Quote from: shadow67 on December 18, 2018, 08:17:57 AM
thanks for all the comments. I have one more question...reading other posts it seems that patent dates should be either on the perch or on the base of the phone, but not both. Since mine has dates on both would this be incorrect? thanks

I would say its correct. A 20B with a cast perch was a very early 20 series stick. WE refurbished and recycled everything in an ingenious miserly fashion. This unit was struck out and restamped to be a 20S at a later date. It's very possible the base got changed out at that time. I am sure somebody here will have some kind of documentation to this effect. Either way I would never change it and try to keep everything as original as possible.
Butch Harlow

shadow67

shadow67

Well I ordered and installed new cords for this phone. While not exact replacements, I think they look pretty good. I have a 534 subset that works with a B1 that I wired to this phone to test it. It works, to a point, but had some unexpected results. If I call the phone the 534 does not ring. If I pick up the receiver I can answer the call. Good audio in the receiver. The transmitter even seems to work even though it looked to be rusty. If I pick up the receiver and listen I hear dial tone, but when I hang up while still listening I still hear the dial tone for a few seconds before it "hangs up". If I hook up the subset to my 102/B1 it works as you would expect. I was thinking perhaps this candlestick was meant to be used on a local battery magneto box instead of a common battery line. It is my only candlestick with the wire that goes into the back of the transmitter cup through a hole. I wired the new cords according to a diagram I found on the TCI site and photos I took of the old cut off stubs before I removed them. Any ideas? Thanks

Key2871

First of all, your set looks fantastic, those cords look great.
As for the sound, it could just be normal as capacitor discharge keeping it activated until it's done dis charging.
I couldn't tell you for sure, someone who knows for sure will I'm sure..

Ken
KEN