News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How/where to connect wires to a WE 297w xmitter, and a gasket

Started by RB, August 17, 2019, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have been wanting to test this transmitter, but don't know how to connect the wires.
I see the 2 brass parts, and assume it is there, but how?
Also, there appears to be a gasket missing, as it rattles in it's mount.
Does anybody sell these?

Ktownphoneco

RB   ....  Can you post a picture so we can see what you see.   Thanks.

Jeff Lamb

RB

This is my WE tin box.
I don't know what model it is.
I think it was an intercom, as it had no induction coil, and a single switch for the hook switch.

Ktownphoneco

RB   ...  I've used one of your photos to label the components.   

Question:   Is there a diaphragm pressure spring located underneath the transmitter bridge which pushes against the diaphragm ?     I can't see it in the picture obviously, but I'm assuming there is. 
If that's the case, loosen the transmitter button clamping screw which should allow the button to position itself correctly against the diaphragm with the correct pressure.    Once you do that, re-tighten the transmitter button clamping screw. 
I think that's the issue you mentioned about something rattling. 

Connection points :  "X" marks the spot.   I've placed 2 "X's" on the picture showing the connection points for the transmitter wires.

Let me know about the "lose" part again if the adjustment of the transmitter button clamping screw procedure didn't cure the problem. 
If there is still an issue, could you provide a picture of the same area that I've already labeled, so I can the area between the transmitter bridge and the diaphragm.  That will show the transmitter button (contains the carbon granules), and the transmitter button tensioning spring.   

Jeff 

RB

Hi Jeff.
Thank you for the help.
It confirms what I suspected.
The spring is ok. the noise is from the whole transmitter missing the rubber gasket.
I need the gasket now, and that should complete this phone.
Do you know where to get a gasket?
By the way, do you know what model this phone is?

Ktownphoneco

RB   ....    That's good.    At least you have that situation solved.    Old phone Shop located here on line :  http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/candlestick-transmitter-reproduction-washers.html

Your set is or was referred to as an "inter-phone".      Western made a large number of system configurations over the years.      I took a quick look through some of my catalogs, and found lots of inter-phone types, but so far, I haven't found the model or type number for your set.     Western normally marked everything pretty well.     Did you see any numbers and letters on the back ? 
I'll still have a couple more catalogs to look through when I have a minute.    If I find it, I'll let you know.

Jeff

RB

Jeff
there is a label on the back, it may say sob or 8ob??? not sure.
pretty faint. did not see it till you mentioned.
The bell coils are 500 ohms each
Thanks for the link.

Ktownphoneco

RB    ...    I sent you a "PM" personal message.

Jeff