News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New member!

Started by heifetz17, January 15, 2020, 05:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heifetz17

Hi guys, I'm new and excited to start learning about phones and building my collection! These are my first two complete candlesticks in my collection, one with possibly the original ringer box. I bought a second wooden ringer box to connect to the other one.

Where's a good place to learn more about these? Specifically how the wooden ringer box will connect to the phone, how the magneto works, how to restore the magneto, etc? Thanks!

RB

Hi and welcome to the sandbox! ;)
There are some smart folks here that can help you with all that!
If you look at the top of the page, and click on the CRPF category, you will find a breakout of subjects.
like wood, candles, etc.
LOTS of good reading there for starters.
Others will chime in soon also.
Nice phones by the way!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: heifetz17 on January 15, 2020, 05:05:50 PM
Hi guys, I'm new and excited to start learning about phones and building my collection! These are my first two complete candlesticks in my collection, one with possibly the original ringer box. I bought a second wooden ringer box to connect to the other one.

Where's a good place to learn more about these? Specifically how the wooden ringer box will connect to the phone, how the magneto works, how to restore the magneto, etc? Thanks!
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23387.msg234404#msg234404
Try this free download for a great overview of the circuits that you are asking about.
Welcome to the madness/sickness AKA hobby.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

THE OBSESSION! Welcome, this is a great hobby that can cost a lot of time and money. But is very rewarding.
KEN

Babybearjs

welcome! so much to learn! you'll have fun and tons of fun learning about telephones... I myself love office phones and the systems that ran them... I have a multiline system in my home and really love it... anyway, always look at the TCI (telephone collectors international) library as all the help you'll need is there. tons of reference material and instruction! welcome to the club... we will help as best we can!
John

dsk

Welcome! We are many here who wants to help, and of course that may result in many different suggestions depending on our different skills and goals.  I like to understand circuitry, and get things in working condition, others are great on making the old phones look like they were never used....
Just ask and you will get help.  ;)

dsk

heifetz17

Thanks everyone! While my end goal would be to build a collection of fully functional phones, I don't have landline service at my house so I'll never actually be able to use them!

My biggest confusions right now are how the phone and box are wired together and how the box would plug into the wall. I suppose I'll start reading through all the links and attachments and begin my learning!  :)

heifetz17

Quote from: Jim Stettler on January 15, 2020, 06:21:27 PM
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23387.msg234404#msg234404
Try this free download for a great overview of the circuits that you are asking about.
Welcome to the madness/sickness AKA hobby.
Jim

It appears this download link no longer works. Is there somewhere else I might find the download?

dsk

HarrySmith

Welcome to the asylum. A warning, Phoneitis is a progressive, incurable disease. We all here are afflicted. Soon you will want different colors or different models or telephone tools or telephone books, the list goes on & on. You will be spending all your time & money on phone stuff. You may even end up constructing a building to house your collection. Just check out the collection topic and you will see the results of this disease! Seriously, you have found the best forum on the net. Lots of knowledgeable people here whio love to help. Also we Love pictures!Post a lot of your phones!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"