News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick shell

Started by heifetz17, January 15, 2020, 06:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heifetz17

Hey guys, I'm just getting started with my collection and this is the very first phone I bought many years ago. It's just a shell and I'd like to restore it but I know nothing about it. I'm wondering if it's a reproduction, but I'm unsure. There are no stamps or markings of any kind on the outside. Can anyone lend some info?

Jim Stettler

Properly restore, or make into a working set?
I suggest creating a simple working set and then work on making it  proper and accurate as you acquire the parts.
JMO,
Jim
A simple working set would be transmitter, receiver and hook-switch connected to a network or subset. You could convert parts from a 300 or 500 set to make this happen.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

That looks to be an Automatic Electric type 21 desk stand.  The parts I can see look like the real thing to me.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 15, 2020, 06:39:35 PM
That looks to be an Automatic Electric type 21 desk stand.  The parts I can see look like the real thing to me.

Larry
In that case , I would try AE 80 Parts.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Yea the diagram on the base plate says mono phone, and has an L and some numbers. So that tells me it's AE.
KEN

Jack Ryan

Hi,

You have an Automatic Electric Type 21 desk stand. Ignore the circuit on the base as it, and probably the base itself, is from a Monophone (a handset telephone).

You will need to disassemble it and inspect the hook switch to determine if it is intended for series or booster circuit. That will tell you what sort of subset (bell box) is needed.

If the hook switch is a simple changeover (single pole, double throw), it was likely a series circuit - otherwise it was a booster. A booster version requires a subset with an induction coil and a receiver with a magnet (biased or polarised) in it. A series version needs a subset with just a bell and a capacitor and a receiver without a magnet (a DC or unbiased receiver).

It would have had a Type 23 or 24 dial. Again, the dial contacts needed depend on the circuit - series or booster.

Images are from AE Bulletin 1015 from 1929.

Regards
Jack

RB

Any chance someone has pics of the SERIES circuit, and the BOOSTER circuit for comparison?

Western Bell

Quote from: RB on January 16, 2020, 10:25:41 AM
Any chance someone has pics of the SERIES circuit, and the BOOSTER circuit for comparison?

Booster circuit requires a 4 leaf hook switch and a 4 conductor mounting cord for anti-side tone operation.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric/1847-ae-desk-set-telephones-ae21dsb-tl

Series circuit 3 leafs and 3 conductor mounting cord.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric/1848-ae-desk-set-telephones-ae21dss-tl

RB

heifetz17

Thanks everyone! Looks like I have some reading to do!  :)

My goal is to properly restore it, but looks like I may have quite the project ahead of me! Would this phone have been bronze or black?

rdelius

Always black. Not brassed out.

heifetz17

Awesome! What's an appropriate refinish method for this situation? I work at a body shop so I have a very wide range of paints and clear coats available to me, so I could easily paint it black and possibly clear it as well. Would this phone have been gloss or semi-gloss? Would this be an appropriate way to refinish the phone?

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Western Bell on January 16, 2020, 12:24:05 PM
Booster circuit requires a 4 leaf hook switch and a 4 conductor mounting cord for anti-side tone operation.
Series circuit 3 leafs and 3 conductor mounting cord.

Only side tone circuits were shown. There is a later side tone circuit to obviate some clicks and a different circuit for AST operation but that was for an AE 21A.

The circuits shown likely are the options for this phone - one or the other.

Jack