News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can candlestick be both functional and correct?

Started by heifetz17, January 22, 2020, 04:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heifetz17

Hi all, I have an AE 21 I'm currently building from a shell. I just ordered a receiver and will be starting to piece this thing together. My question is can I build this phone with a subset to be able to use it while still having the correct internals? Or does such a restoration require replacing the internals with modern electronics? I'm more interested in having a correct phone than a usable one, but if I can have both that would be great!

I'm sure this topic has been covered quite a bit, so if anyone can point me in the right direction to learn more about these types of restorations I'd certainly be grateful!

RB

If you look towards the top left, click on the first part, says classic rotary phones forum.
below are the category. look for restorations.
If your stick has a dial, it will prob need a subset.
It will have a bell, coil, and a cap inside. The rest is in the stick.
Then, it will work on a pots/net convert line.
Without a dial, you will need one...somewhere to dial out.
All the sticks, I believe, with dials, are for pots use.
Most all need the subset.
Some, can use a mini net, but I think, will still need a bell??
You will want to match the transmitter, receiver, and the network for optimal use.
Post a few pics ;D

HarrySmith

Yes, it can be functional and correct. Finish building the stick correctly, you will not need to modify that. Depending on the subset you choose it may need to be modified. Any changes you will need to make will not damage the subset and will be easily reversible.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

heifetz17

This is what I'm working with. I bought the box on the left of the picture with the intention of hooking it up to the WE 20AL in front of it, but if it's either correct or usable for this I can use that.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: heifetz17 on January 22, 2020, 06:40:38 PM
This is what I'm working with. I bought the box on the left of the picture with the intention of hooking it up to the WE 20AL in front of it, but if it's either correct or usable for this I can use that.

That's a magneto subset. You can use that with the AE 21 and connect it to another magneto telephone to make an intercom but not to connect to the PSTN. You need a CB subset.

I can't actually see your phone very well - is that an AE transmitter on it? You will need to check that there is a transmitter element in it and that it works. The profile of the transmitter doesn't look AE but if it is, there is usually a code on the front - xC (eg 3C) for a CB transmitter and xL for a LB transmitter.

Before you can wire it up you need to look at the hook switch to determine what circuit to use.

The bottom line is, if you line accepts pulse dialling with a bit of leeway for imperfect timing, you can get the phone to work in its original configuration. Sound quality may not be perfect but it wasn't back in the day either.

Jack

heifetz17

Jack, the transmitter element certainly isn't what I was expecting. I wonder if someone tried to modernize this at some point? I didn't see any of the markings you mentioned. I have already inspected the hook switch and it is series circuit.

HarrySmith

Someone definetly tried to"modernize" it with a WE element out of a 500. Is there a date on the back of the transmitter cup?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

heifetz17

There's a '31' stamped on it. Is that the date?

cchaven

I picked up a Cracraft-Leich deskstand a number of years ago that was already wired to a Western Electric 685 subset.  It has an original type receiver but the transmitter has been replaced by a 500-style.  I've never traced the wiring to see just how it's wired up, but there is something in the harness in the base that is about the size of a dime, wrapped entirely in electrical tape.

The deskstand is non-dail, but it functions perfectly when plugged up to the line and I can dial out using one of the small handheld tone dialers that used to be popular.  Here's an image of the deskstand itself:

https://flic.kr/p/XguoCa

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble