News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Not really much going on where I live specifically (but then I don't get out much as it is, I'm well-suited to this self-isolation thing!!), but supermarkets are being stripped bare due to idiots hoarding things, they've even taken to buying up bottled water, as though they think the virus will sneakily turn off mains water supplies or something, it's definitely gone a bit loopy people-wise...  ::)

Just a case of hunker down, stay safe, don't do anything unnecessary, don't travel unless needed, etc., of course those of us who need to do shopping are a bit up a certain creek without a paddle when we don't have the money to get things this week, come next week, who knows how far things'll be shut down...  ???

19and41

It amazes me after communities have worked for years and years to bring us safe water to drink, people can't trust tap water unless it comes to them in small bottles.  The county I live in spent millions to put in a ultraviolet water purification plant that has won purity awards from across the country, yet the people here act like they will die of thirst if the bottled stuff runs out.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Round here the water's pretty nice, no nasty taste, not hard, no funny colour, but the idiots still are panic-buying bottled stuff, I keep saying that they must be prepping for nuclear war or something, what with the toilet roll, dry goods, bottled water, cleaning supplies, etc., they seem to be suffering from the epidemic of "stupidity", which is a far more dangerous disease...  :o

TelePlay

Stopped in Sam's Club this morning after I finished with an appointment. Got there at 9 am and there was a line from the front door half way down the side of the building. I did something else and went back 15 minutes later - no line. There was a cop car parked at the front door. I picked up the 2 things I needed and as I walked toward the self check I noticed the police officer standing to the side taking a picture of the people with carts full of toilet paper and paper towels checking out. Talked to him saying I didn't understand and he didn't either. He said they had 5 pallets of toilet paper available when the store opened at 9 am and it was all gone in just under 7 minutes. That's why he was there. The store asked for protection in case something broke out in the mad grab for paper.

I told him I'd buy a case of TP if I could get my hands on that apparently sold out cook book, "101 Ways to Prepare A Savory Toilet Paper Dinner." He laughed.

Other than that type of stupidity on display in most grocery stores (some stuff sold out, others not) these days, anything having to do with a gathering of 10 or more people has been canceled. On top of that, banks have closed their lobbies leaving only their drive through available (and it's hard to get to a safe deposit box by way of the drive through). Churches, theaters, gyms, plays, concerts, all sporting events, restaurants, bars, schools, parks (indoor and outdoor), museums and zoos all closed for at least 45 days (probably missed a few). The bright side is gas here is about $1.75 a gallon.

I still don't understand the panic buying. If everyone just bought as if everything was normal, buy only what is needed, the supply lines would keep the store shelves full. Once this is over, the shelves will once again be filled but all those with a basement full of hoarded booty will not be buying for a long time. Will take a long time to get the supply lines back into the normal demand, stable consumption business cycle.

And as said above, panic buying bottled water? Duh . . . .

Key2871

Yea, I don't get it either. I went to pick up a few things this afternoon, no paper products period. None.
Shelves were bare as far as I could see.
It's like this is a death sentence and they will just stay home until everything returns to normal.
But it's just putting a strain on a lot of areas, not just paper products. If everyone is that terified Wear a dust mask, wash your hands when you get to your car. Etc.
As long as your not hanging at the corner bar with people coughing all over you, you should be fine.
The important thing, don't panic. Because that's when it started g
Getting bad.
KEN

Bob S

I haven't gone out but it sounds like a lot of people are not going to work or school because government shut down. but are gathering other Places.

19and41

Went to Costco and CVS pharmacy today.  They didn't look too bad.  Just got $1.65/gal gas there.  Didn't have time to go inside.  Our county government has set up locations where parents can pick up bagged school breakfasts and lunches as the kids are out of school and the grocery stores are out of food.  Now is the time when my liking sugar free foods comes to an advantage.  The locusts avoid them like they were radioactive.   ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Owain

Schools closing from Friday. No council offices, community centres, libraries, gyms, etc - all closed. Universities are on 'distance teaching' but mostly still open.

Haven't seen powdered milk for two weeks. Toilet rolls available at £4/pack from convenience shops. Asda said their last pallet off the lorry sold out in 10 minutes. Most supermarkets are now rationing almost everything to about 4 per customer - if they have it.

The charity shops will be the next to close I think - they rely on elderly volunteers, and that will have a knock-on effect on charities' income.

19and41

It's been a long time since so many countries shared common daily events to such a degree.  Wish it could have been a nicer equalizer.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Restaurants are now doing take out and deliveries only.  The apartment building where I live is now locked all the time.  Tenants, like me, can get in by using a key fob. Anyone else who wants in must call security to get in.  Only security is allowed to let others in.  We now have our first case of  Corona virus in Lawrence, Kansas.  It was a student at  K U returning from spring break.

twocvbloke

Tesco (UK supermarket chain) has implemented some new rules, 3 items max on everything, scrapping of multi-buy deals (so more money for them!) and no deli counter, fresh fish, meat & veg, so, basically, no reason to be going to tesco then if they haven't got what you need and are over-charging in an already difficult time...  ::)

Most supermarkets also closing earlier, Asda (owned by WalMart) is scrapping 24hr times to allow for easier restocking, as is Tesco, haven't looked at other places (Sainsburys, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl, etc.) but presumably also doing the same...

TelePlay

Convenience store / gas stations are no longer allowing refills. They are also using one employee to fill coffee cups (no more help yourself style for drinks and pastries and hot convenience foods). So, whatever one wants, an employee will make it or bag it but with so few people out and in these stores, never a line to get anything.

Grocery stores have banned the cloth reusable grocery bags since they are a carrier of all kinds of bugs which are deposited on whatever surface the bag touches as well as the food stuffs put into the bag - one time use plastic and paper bags is all that can be used to bag food products. Seems the reusable cloth bag was a bad idea from the moment it was forced upon the public and now we are told why. And, if washed after each use, the water and soaps used to wash it and the power needed to dry it have a bigger impact on the environment than a single use paper or plastic bag.

All dentist offices have closed for 3 weeks. One dentist office is left open to serve a 100 mile radius for anyone needing emergency dental work - all other dental work canceled for the 3 weeks.

My favorite antique mall has closed until further notice. I guess the picking up and putting down of items by whomever is thought to be a way to transmit bugs since the store can't sanitize every item after it has been touched.

Community health centers are screening anyone wanting to enter at the door for fever and if hot, segregated from the few people in the center for evaluation. If one is not hot and enters such a health center, a person with mask, spray bottle and wipe (wearing gloves) cleans off any and all surfaces the person being followed touches immediately after the touch. That's scary having some right behind you wiping down everything you touch.

Parking lots, streets and roads are ghost town level empty. But, easy to find a parking spot anywhere for the places still open. That makes my work a lot easier not having to deal with traffic and parking while making my daily 200 miles pickup/delivery stops.

Also, no crowds anywhere so easy to stay at least 6 feet away from everyone else.

Gas is still under $1.75 a gallon and no one is hoarding candy. But, I'm still looking for that low calorie cookbook, "101 Ways to Prepare a Savory Toilet Paper Dinner."

countryman

a quayside bar in Hamburg is bound to close but can't. They were open 24/7 for 70 years and have no key for the door.

Owain

Many of the charity shops have closed or are closing tomorrow. Clothing shops are closing as they're "non-essential" and people can buy online (and people don't buy new clothes to wear at home self-isolating).

Co-op had sold out of milk by 10 am. Tesco had sold out of everything (if they had a delivery) by 4pm despite rationing.

The school exams at age 16 and 18 are cancelled. Jury trials are not taking place in courts. By next week trains are going to be cut back to an hourly service on most routes and buses will be cut too.

People on TripAdvisor are still asking "should I cancel my holiday?" -- yes, that's what no non-essential travel means!

19and41

I went in the Costco business center here today.  as far as refrigerated/frozen foods go, you'd never imagine anything was wrong.  Packaged foods snacks candy nuts and cigareets in abundance.  It was like walking back a week. Tissues, paper towels and TP still absent as all the personal sanitization products. I set up my youngest niece with an associate membership as she has had trouble getting groceries at the regular stores.  She cares for my older sister and that should come in handy for them.Restaurants here have set up for take away only.  I got an Email from Harbor Freight that "the government" has given them a dispensation to remain open during this calamity.  There are rumblings that there are 2 people in the public transit authority I work for has gotten the virus.  Oh boy.   
— Arthur C. Clarke