News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Strowger Candlestick

Started by magicbrain, April 21, 2020, 05:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

I was the one who got the AE Strowger candlestick for a best offer of $150.00 + $11.30 shipping on eBay.
Received it undamaged even though it was only wrapped in brown paper & loose inside the box.
I got very lucky - did not think I would ever be able to own one of these!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-old-antique-phone-/283839396172

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23736.0
Bruce

Doug Rose

Congrats! A once in a lifetime find at a bargain price.

Did you offer $150: or did they say they would take $150.....Doug
Kidphone

Wow, you got one great deal. Awesome, good for you!

magicbrain

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 21, 2020, 06:12:01 PM
Congrats! A once in a lifetime find at a bargain price.

Did you offer $150: or did they say they would take $150.....Doug

If you can believe it, I offered $125 & the seller countered offered with $150, which I quickly accepted.
I really thought my low $ offer would be declined & that would be that - just sit back and watch the auction price go sky high.
Bruce

Desert Phone Guy

Doug Rose

I asked seller if she had inherited a collection. Seller told me they were cleaning out a friends storage. This was when the E4 was being sold. She claimed she made a mistake on the Strowger. I agreed with her. She said it was a learning process. That was some storage locker, the Strowger stick, an E4 and a Donut phone.....Doug
Kidphone

phonetech87

Kieth;

That's a steal. Good for you.

I looked at the photos earlier but since I have one of these sets did not check all the photos.

I am intrigued by the transmitter tag (10). Most of the Strowger sticks I have seen including mine have stamping and not a tag. Any information about that you can share?

Ben

magicbrain

Quote from: phonetech87 on April 22, 2020, 08:05:11 AM
I am intrigued by the transmitter tag (10). Most of the Strowger sticks I have seen including mine have stamping and not a tag. Any information about that you can share?

Ben

Ben,
That tag is marked "1C" - maybe converted from another type, I have seen some stamped "C" & "3C"

What type of base plate do your sticks have, it is missing on this one.
Bruce

phonetech87

Hi Keith;
Here are some photos of my phone...The base is a thin metal with green thin felt on it. There is a single screw at the center. My set came from a collector in Edmonton.

oldguy

Congratulation Bruce, like Doug stated, Sometimes you bite the bear & sometimes the bear bites you. this time the bear lost :) Those are beautiful phones.
Gary