News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FABphones' Telephone Workshop Build

Started by FABphones, May 04, 2020, 05:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

My creation has worked well for me. But if I had the room, I don't think even then it would look half as nice as yours does CJ. Awesome job.
I like the corner cabinet, and all those bins for parts storage.  And for scrounging and using what you could find, fan dam tastic.
KEN

Now all you need is a stereo set up to play your favorite telephone mood music! :) 

FABphones

Thanks key and thanks all. I am honoured you guys like it. It was fun to do, my biggest woodworking project ever. It's great to have a place for everything and a quiet area to retreat to.

It really was a case of find something and try to use it. Every bit of wood counted. Measure twice cut once or go without because there really was no more. I walked around countless times trying to find yet another piece of wood to make the carcasses from and looking for surplus odds and ends I could put to use in there. The large plastic bins were outgrown from the toy box and enroute to recycling.

Quote from: Duffy on May 27, 2020, 12:40:37 PM
Now all you need is a stereo set up to play your favorite telephone mood music! :) 

Good idea. I think there is an unwanted CD/radio packed away someplace....
Found it. Needed a good dust down and a spray of contact cleaner but works ok. CD player on reverse.
Treated the workshop to a Bluetooth speaker (€8) too. :)

Quote from: oldguy on May 26, 2020, 06:16:47 PM
...I'm pretty sure you know by now, there is never enough phone storage 😀😀😷

So true. Spent today making the shelf for under the bench which I had totally forgotten to do. Photo below (too much light, didn't notice until I came to add it here).

Tomorrow I begin to move the phone spares in. Mr F is mighty pleased to see the back of all my 'junk' from the house.  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

That is awesome! Not just the fact you built something that will serve you well for years to come but you did it with recycled materials. Congratulations!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

I cleaned up you photo a little. Looks good what you have done.

FABphones

Thanks Doug.  :)
——-

Today bought this small pivotal vice (€10). Am often in need of a third hand and this will come in handy. Has a circular attachment too (for holding pipes) which, well padded out, may come in useful for handsets.

I see a radio, brilliant! Now you can do the telephone dance while restoring your phones. LOL :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ann-3_eYTBo&feature=youtu.be

countryman

That's a very nice workshop, congratulations!
The CD radio will be great when working on later plastic telephones.
For metal and Bakelite phones you will find a tube radio sooner or later :-)

twocvbloke

Could always drive yourself nuts listening to this wondering which mobile phone provider used it as their theme...  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM7SRw3dHwI

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on May 28, 2020, 01:59:18 PM
That's a very nice workshop, congratulations!
The CD radio will be great when working on later plastic telephones.
For metal and Bakelite phones you will find a tube radio sooner or later :-)

They help keep the room warm in the winter too!
There is something special about the tone of a nice valve (tube) radio.
:)

AT2796

Wow FABphones!
What a nice job. I look forward to seeing projects in progress in that space you've created.
Fine work!
Andy

FABphones

Thanks Andy, it's a treat to have it.  :)

———

Last few photos, after moving in some of the boxed up telephone projects (22+ so far not including the many Trimphones). Didn't realise there were quite so many in the queue.

Ran out of space fast so made this shelf unit which is also attached to the wall for extra stability (the blackboard is an old scrap of wood I painted with blackboard paint, there to cover a small interior window. The glass was missing and it was draughty, blowing dust in from the adjacent barn/room, so I covered it). The item at the back/top of photo three is a hard to find Trimphone wall mount. The last one I saw sell a few months back went for something in the region of £700. This one came to me thrown into a mixed job lot, I spotted it and crossed my fingers. Trimphones were my first 'love'.

Key2871

Nice.... Isn't it amazing how fast the space fills up..
Next a new addition!
That really looks so good. Congrats.
KEN

Doug Rose

C.J.......you done good! Very professional.

It is nice starting new, instead adding and adding...etc

Yes...space does fill quickly and there is always a waiting list.....really impressive, you should be very proud ....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Been a bit quiet on CRPF the last day or so, so thought I would show you a quick photo of the projects lining up for attention in the workshop.

A box full of goodies from the US awaits too.......
:)