News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

anybody know what was used to remove the nut on the bottem a candle?

Started by RB, February 19, 2021, 07:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

My SC candle has a nut holding the tube to the base.
I need the object used to remove it...
Anybody know what it typically was?
Or, has anybody made one?

HarrySmith

A picture may help. Nut is pretty generic, could be just needs a socket.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

naw, this thing is a circle with 4 notches around it.
definitely not a standard nut. ???

Jack Ryan

Quote from: RB on February 19, 2021, 10:04:59 PM

Sometimes cir-clip pliers do the trick. Otherwise find some tubing the right size and cut one end to leave two lugs to fit the nut.

If all else fails, a nail punch and a small hammer will do it.

Jack

FABphones

definitely not a standard nut...

As Jack suggested, pliers are probably the way forward, but a photo would help if you could add one.  :)

In my little workshop I have a whole bunch of smaller tool kits which I buy when I come across them. Not expensive, they usually have a tool in there I will need at some point (kits like the one shown below). Maybe look on eBay/Amazon for something similar?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on February 20, 2021, 02:53:53 AM
In my little workshop I have a whole bunch of smaller tool kits which I buy when I come across them. Not expensive, they usually have a tool in there I will need at some point (kits like the one shown below). Maybe look on eBay/Amazon for something similar?

I forget what this one looks like but they are generally a nut that screws onto the bottom of the shaft so about 1 1/8" (28 mm).

Jack

RB

OK, I went through a ton of pics, but no nut.
So, I whipped this up in paint.
This is basically what it looks like...
And it IS TIGHT!!! :(

HarrySmith

As already suggested pliers meant for circle clips may work. There are sockets for nuts like that. Look for car antenna nut sockets. I am not sure about the size though. Check the size of your nut before buying one.

A quick Amazon search shows a couple of sets. The first one would probably not work since I do not think you could get a wrench in there. There are others available elsewhere that are not as expensive as the second one I think has sockets you could use.

Antenna-Nut-Socket

Stinger-Antenna-Service Socket
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

Doug Rose

Rod....Oil the nut and let is stand for a day. Liquid Wrench works great

Use a heavy Awl and stick the point in one of the notches. Hit the Awl with a hammer in the loosening direction and it will come loose. I have done this successfully with WE locks on 202s etc....Doug
Kidphone

RB

paul-f

What is the model of the phone? Photos of the phone, bottom plate and nut would help.

Most of the common SC models I've owned have used different methods to hold the bottom plate on -- such as a screw-controlled cam along one edge (turn the screw about 1/4 turn to latch or release) or turn the whole bottom plate.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Key2871

I encountered those as well. Soaking in oil is a good direction to go as they often rust in place and can be difficult to get loose. Counter clockwise will losten the nut. I suggest a small narrow cold chisel as they are harder than an awal.
But only after a good oil soak, and then go easy or you could damage the nut and the set its self.
KEN

RB

Paul
Here she is...
The best I can do so far.
There is something stamped on the ring above the bunghole.
"Patent Sept 1905" I believe.
And made by SC tell.mfg.co
Rochester USA on the transmitter cup.
It was paired with a North Dial, and a 1156 ringer box.
I think if I hold it just right, I can get a long punch in there, and give it an attitude adjustment.
Thanks for the suggestions, Jack and Doug. and Key2871
We will see if this works.

Key2871

If I could I would remove the top stuff of the shaft. Get those wires out so oil won't penetrate them.
I had a desk stand that had a loose nut, but it later rusted so I couldn't tighten. So I did the routine of oil then small hard chisel. Using taps to tighten, but had to learn first clean the threads then reassemble.
Good luck.
KEN