"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer mounting pad for Northern Electric Uniphones

Started by RotoTech99, May 13, 2021, 10:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I was looking at my parts pages for NE Uniphones, and I noticed it mentions a ringer pad that goes under the NE-B1A ringer, and I was hoping that someone could please tell me what that was made of, please.

I'm guessing it was there to dampen vibration from the ringer; I've noticed that where a ringer is mounted "metal to metal" it causes extra noise, and camps the sound from the gongs.

I'd like to add the pad for the ringer to my Type1, but I don't know if that pad was cork or rubber; I've got extra cork/rubber Princess pad material I could make it from, or would rubber be better?

I can most likely take a couple large rubber disc washers and put them under the ringer where it mounts; which material would you suggest?

All replies, suggestions, advice accepted with Thanks in Advance.

RotoTech99

HarrySmith

I have no idea what the factory pad is made of but I would recommend rubber. I added thick rubber O rings under a couple of ringers and also under the back of an AE 90 when I mounted it on a metal modular back board. I think rubber is a better sound insulator. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

Hello, thanks for the idea.... I thought of taking a couple of dime size thick rubber washers like used in sink faucets that would easily fit under the ringer's mounting points and not necessitate longer screws to hold it all in place.

For the tail end of the ringer, I don't know if they'd need rubber washers under it, but I could epoxy a couple back there.

What do you think, I think that would be easiest as long as the screws are long enough to hold the ringer down on the washers after being tightened.

RotoTech99

RB

sink washers are a good size, but are quite dense.
maybe a chunk of an old mouse pad?

FABphones

Hopefully a member here has a ringer pad which they can photograph and add to this thread, meantime, do you have an image or drawing of the pad, or dimensions?

Other 'home made' ideas (which I sometimes turn to depending on what I have and the application), are cut from Neoprene, or leather/swede. If needed, I use a metal hole punch (we bought it for stirrup leathers but it's the same type as those used for belts).

For a few euros our local 'cheapie' shop sells a small plastic compartment box, each compartment containing different size washers/O rings which can be used as is or doubled up as needed. They also sell the same box but containing a selection of various size and shape stick on (which is easily removed if not needed) feet for the underside of electrical items etc.

Other odd (but practical ideas) which can be cut to size are those shoe insole inserts to make the inside cosy, or those white flat packing foam sheets (which sometimes electrical items are wrapped in).

Online sellers have pieces of foam available which comes in many thicknesses and densities.

Each has it's 'other' use depending on the requirement, size, density.

Hope that gives a few more ideas...
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

I have a base and do not see any rubber ringer pad, it just screws into base.

Unless it is the pad the goes over the vents....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

It uses a piece of brass.  That way the tail of the ringer is not touching the base plate.

Babybearjs

I have the wall version of this phone and was shocked when I tried to restore it that it wouldn't dial out when wired as a 302. at that time I didn't understand that these have to be wired like a 211/212 to work right... I wound up putting in a AE dial and got it working right... I may change out the dial later, but its working right, so I probably just leave it... I still have to add a back board to mine...
John