News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich Candlestick

Started by wds, February 07, 2011, 01:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I just wanted to share another ebay find with everyone.  It was advertised as a Stromberg Carlson, because of the S/C receiver.  Turns out it's a Leich candlestick.  The rust wasn't quite as bad as it looks in the picture, but it did require a lot of cleanup.  The inside of the phone was in excellent shape, and the switch and mechanicals in the bottom were very clean and a little unusual compared to the other candlesticks I have.  The receiver arm is spring controlled, and gives a very smooth click when the receiver is removed and replaced.  $45 and a coat of paint, and now it's in my collection.
Dave

Jim Stettler

It cleaned up very well.  I don't  bid on phones that rough. You did a fine job making it pretty.
JIm
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

What a beautiful job, it looks brand new!...Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

Pretty  ;D I realy like the look of this. It looks different than a Western stick. But you better not tell Ma Bell I'm looking at other phones ;)
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

wds

I try to stay away from the beat up candlesticks as well, but this one didn't seem that bad despite the rust in the pictures.  If nothing else, for that price I would get a good receiver.  I've gotten a couple nice candlesticks this way. 
Dave

Dennis Markham

It looks great, Dave.  Nice job!

LarryInMichigan

It looks great.  Did you redo the nickel plating?

Larry

wds

No, the nickel polished up like new.  Sometimes I think all those years of dirt help protect the finish.  The nickel on the top of the stem is getting thin, and you can see the brass a little in the picture.  I'm trying to find a shop close to home that I can have some parts replated, but most of them are too expensive for just a couple of small parts. 
Dave