"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Transmitter Numbers

Started by Sargeguy, April 09, 2012, 11:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Here is a picture of the back of the transmitter:

Dennis, as you can see it was nickeled originally.  

I have only ever seen these on the Western Electric #5 arm.  One in my possession and a few in photos and eBay auctions.  This is not the only type used on a #5 arm.  I have also seen *250* and 259w.  I think beveled edge transmitters were early 1890s, while the two-boxers the WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY transmitter came on were late 1890s.  Beveled transmitters can be found with *229* and *7-digit* (and A.B.T. Co.) designations.  Later transmitters can be found with the *229* and *7-digit*, so these designations were contemporary, not successive.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Since 250 is the code number for the transmitter + arm used on a 1317, if you find a 250 on a #5 arm it must be a later replacement.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I think the #10 and the #5 were available at the same time as the #10 was phased in.  I'm sure the older phones would have been available at a discount.  Maybe these were issued with 250s.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 10, 2013, 11:33:48 AM
I think the #10 and the #5 were available at the same time as the #10 was phased in.  I'm sure the older phones would have been available at a discount.  Maybe these were issued with 250s.

Actually the 1906 catalog seems to have all  #10 arms, even the ones with binding posts on the ringer boxes.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Here's one i haven't seen before.  Marked ABTCo - american bell telephone co?
Dave

Sargeguy

That one is listed above under early transmitter types but I do not have a decent picture of one yet.  Those are pretty rare, I have only seen half a dozen or so appear on eBay over the years and they always command a premium, about $200 or more.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I will be able to take a better picture when it arrives!  Since wds has never seen one I thought it was my obligation as moderator to purchase the phone in question off eBay and photograph the transmitter tag for his benefit.  Don't say I never did anything for you wds!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

Thank you Sargeguy. I was doing some research on a particular transmitter, and your listing in the start of this post saved me from having to wade through several WeCo catalogs.

Chuck

Sargeguy

Glad to be of service, I hope the info was correct.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a close up of the tag in question:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

No. 242--"Common Battery Bracket Set Transmitter" as used on early Type 85 "fiddleback" wall sets c. 1898-1903.

Mountjoy's book says 513,000 242s were produced between 1894 and 1905, but most were apparently replaced with later types such as the #250s.

100 Years of Bell Telephones, by Richard Mountjoy, pp. 82-85
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stubbypylon

Here's a couple more to add to the list: 1) first a 6 digit beveled transmitter as seen on a speaking tube telephone. 2) a "Property of the Bell Telephone Co. of Canada" 5 digit beveled transmitter.
Craig Stanowski

Mockingbird812

Here is the "349 BW" attached to my WE 317 AD Railroad phone with a "PUSH TO TALK RELEASE TO LISTEN" button between the transmitter and the bells.

EDIT:  sorry, just noticed this section is for candle stick transmitters. Moderators move/delete as necessary. :P
Sam

magicbrain

QuoteBeveled transmitters can be found with *229* and *7-digit* (and A.B.T. Co.) designations.
Here is a "WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY" beveled transmitter - this was found attached to a ordinary WE 20AH candlestick I purchased on ebay.
Bruce

Sargeguy

Nice!  Despite what some may say, these "WESTERN ELECTRIC COMPANY" transmitters are early.  If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409