News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

C/S mouthpieces

Started by wds, April 27, 2012, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I just picked up a brown marbleized bakelite mouthpiece for my We stick.  It looks like it has never been used - the threads were still shiny and unscratched.  Now my collection of unique mouthpieces stands at 3.  The Whisper It glass and the brown are both western electric, and the solid brass is Stromberg.  They definitely stand out compared to the usual black mouthpieces.
Dave

twocvbloke

I'm guessing the glass one was used in situations where hygiene was important, as glass is easy to clean and sterilise... :)

wds

The glass mp actually came with a GPO candlestick.  I'm guessing it's one of the early candlesticks made by Western Electric for GPO.  It does look nice on display.
Dave

Sargeguy

Nice.  Are you aware of the new candlestick phone section we started?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

No - lot's of sections to choose from!  I'll try to remember that Candlestick section.
Dave

wds

Picked up a WE candlestick, and it had this brown mouthpiece on it.  After cleaning it up, it's definately brown in color.  Would this have been an original color, or maybe a black on turned brown?  Also, instead of the star in the middle, it has a hole.  Put it on my nickel 20T and it looks pretty nice. 
Dave

Bill

Glass? Bakelite? Brass? All well and good, but has anyone heard of a mouthpiece made of hardwood? I bought a Stromberg-Carlson LB oak wall phone the other day, and found that it has a very nice looking wood mouthpiece. "Nice" meaning it wasn't whittled by hand out of a chunk of firewood. I'll post a pic in the Wooden Phones forum when I get it unpacked, but thought I might prime the pump here.

Bill